cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovery process for a PIX515e failure

HMidkiff
Level 1
Level 1

I had a PIX515e fail on me last week.  I had to jump through some hoops.  I had to get a replacement and then reload the config. When I reloaded the config a series of commands were omitted. NAT’s and Crypto’s mainly.  I think this was because I had an enhanced security key installed on it and the key was not initially installed.

Post I am trying to learn from this so in the event I have another failure I can recover quicker.  I think the recovery process should be:

1.       Install the correct IOS

2.       Install the correct license keys

3.       TFTP the config on to the PIX

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HMidkiff wrote:

I had a PIX515e fail on me last week.  I had to jump through some hoops.  I had to get a replacement and then reload the config. When I reloaded the config a series of commands were omitted. NAT’s and Crypto’s mainly.  I think this was because I had an enhanced security key installed on it and the key was not initially installed.

Post I am trying to learn from this so in the event I have another failure I can recover quicker.  I think the recovery process should be:

1.       Install the correct IOS

2.       Install the correct license keys

3.       TFTP the config on to the PIX

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Presumably the crypto commands were because you were referring to 3DES for example. Not sure about the NAT commands.

Anyway, yes that looks like a good recovery process in the sense of making sure the correct key is there before trying to copy back the config. Have you thought about running an active/standby pair so if one fails it simply fails over to the other one ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card