Access Points report half duplex in CDP Neighbors

Unanswered Question

We are currently converting our AP's to light AP's - using a 5508 controller. I just noticed that when I check an AP, under Access Point Details, CDP Neighbors, it correctly reports the switch it's connected to, with the right port. But under "Duplex" it says Half Duplex?

It seems to do this for all AP's. I have checked both an 1121, 1131 and 1141. When I check the connected port on the switch it says Full Duplex.

Is this a display issue or something I should examine further?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/11/2010 - 16:49

Hi Kaj,

If you are seeing that the 5508 is reporting Half Duplex but the switch says Full duplex, then I remembered reading somewhere that this is an "un-documented feature" (aka a bug).

dennischolmes Sat, 01/16/2010 - 11:47

Leo is correct. There is a bug that causes this. It will also eventually cause the controller to lock up. On a 2106 this happens much more often due to the lower amount of memory and processor power. TAC suggests that you hard code the switch to 100 meg full but I have seen that his has no real effect.

Leo Laohoo Sun, 01/17/2010 - 13:14

Hardcode the speed and duplex setting at the switch will do fine.  You "won't" be able to do so on the AP or WLC side because of the bug.

This Discussion

Related Content