Which Router/Switch do i need?

Unanswered Question
Jan 11th, 2010
User Badges:

I have a security system in which i need a static IP address in my house (in which the cable company already gave me my static IP), however, i need everything else to be on DHCP address (computers, Access point)....I have a house in which i have every room has data ports in them that come back to a centralized location with ports so i can configure a router/switch.

The items that i have right now is as follows. Keep in mind, i want to consolodate so i can keep my devices to a minimum. these are in order of how they connect.

1.a cable model from the cable company

2.a router with two ports (LAN port in which gives out DCHP address in which goes to switch #3) and (WAN port that is on a static IP address that goes to the cable modem)

3.a linksys switch that has a WAP and computer hooked up to it

what can i use to consolodate all these?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/11/2010 - 20:57
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

    The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

  • Cisco Designated VIP,

    2017 LAN, Wireless

850, 870 ISRs or 860, 880, 890 ISR routers.

850/870 has a wireless option.  860, 880, 890 has an optional autonomous or LWAP access point.  All the models mentioned has a 1 port WAN and a 4-port L2 switch (except for the 890 which has a 8-port L2 switch).


This Discussion