Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - snmp-write needed ?

hleschin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we are testing currently LMS 3.2 for a very large installation. In our network snmp-write access to devices is currently forbidden by a special company policy. The devices can only contacted via snmp-read and telnet/ssh.

So my questions is:

For which functions does LMS 3.2 realy need snmp-write access to the devices ? Or can I use telnet/ssh intead of snmp-write always ?

Thx + Best regards

Hendrik

3 Replies 3

david.fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

You can check the "Required Device Credentials for LMS Applications" section in the install notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/install/guide1/prereq.html#wp1109276

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

I believe only IPM need snmp write to program the collectors.

So apart from that you should be fine with RO and telnet/ssh access

Cheers,

Michel

CiscoView also requires the SNMP read-write for most its configuration tasks (some can use telnet/SSH).  This is not nearly as show-stopping as IPM, though.  IPM is pretty much useless without SNMP read-write.  But note, that community string-based SNMP is no longer required in LMS.  You can move to SNMPv3, and be able to do SET operations in a more secure manner.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco