cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

physical port test(WIC-2T) How?

kparichat
Level 1
Level 1

In our site we have a lots of 2800 routers that host WIC-2T(1 port for normal working, 1 port for backup - it will be plugged when the 1st port fail). Those backup ports are left dusty and may not be used for years, so we can't know that if they are still in a good condition to serve the traffic or not.

Is there any fastest way to test the backup serial port without adding configuration? I'm thinking about signal tester (like a cable tester) but don't know where I can find it.

Could anybody advise the better way or any commercial interface tester that will help?  Please......

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Following command test interface will do your need it will check about the status of the interface status.

This command lets you test a router that doesn't currently have a network connection. In other words, use this command to test a router before sending it out to a site. For more information, check out Cisco's documentation on the test interfaces command.

Here's an example of this command:

Router# test interfaces

And for testing the cable you can use the following command

You can use the following command to test the cable.
This does take the port down when you do this for a few seconds:
'test cable-diag tdr int xx/xx'
'show cable-diag tdr' for results

and check out the below link for interface testing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g12.html#wp1031393

Hope that helps out your query !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

Ganesh.H...Thanks a million.. Can I have one more question, please?

From the reference command guide it said that this command is intended for the factory checkout of network interfaces.

I used the command "test interfaces" and it showed "Failed-Not Connected Problem"(of course, no cable connection right there so it can not be PING by test command). My question is, does it mean the physical interface is doing fine?

Regards,

PK

Hi,

No we cannot say as suggested by every one you need to test in that manner only

You can take a network jack and create a loopback cable to simulate a connection. If you take the jack and take pin 1 (orange/white) and connect it to pin 4 (Blue) and then pin 2 (orange) to pin 5 (blue) then connect a regular network cable it will show if the port is working and should clear any alams on the card

HTH

Regards

Ganesh.H

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use a DCE-DCE  cable, available on the popular auctions site.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

smitty6504
Level 1
Level 1

You can take a network jack and create a loopback cable to simulate a connection. If you take the jack and take pin 1 (orange/white) and connect it to pin 4 (Blue) and then pin 2 (orange) to pin 5 (blue) then connect a regular network cable it will show if the port is working and should clear any alams on the card.

You can take a network jack and create a loopback cable to simulate a connection. If you take the jack and take pin 1 (orange/white) and connect it to pin 4 (Blue) and then pin 2 (orange) to pin 5 (blue) then connect a regular network cable it will show if the port is working and should clear any alams on the card.

It is not possible to do that a serial card like the OP have.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card