Helpful
Replies

interfaces counters

fd_case17
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i'am watching at interfaces counters with nagios on my catalyst 2950 via snmp

but when I reset counters with reset counters on cli , there's nothing change on nagios

if i reboot the switch , counters are reset ,

i think i'm missing a snmp command , but perhaps i'm wrong

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is the polling interval for nagios to switch as when you clear the counter and nagois used to poll after 5 min or 10 min it will reflect on nagios server after that polling interval only.

HTH

Regards

Ganesh.H

the polling interval is 30 '

but if i try the cmd alone

it will report counters as they were before clearing them on cli

it's the same after rebooting nagios server

Just a thought, and I don't know if this the answer or not, but maybe resetting the counters using the CLI command resets interface counters in the private Cisco MIB only and not the standard MIB-2 variables, and perhaps nagios queries the MIB-2 counters? I have never checked which counters the CLI command has an effect upon, it's just an idea.

I don't know nagios, but if it includes the ability to do an SNMP walk, you may be able to check this by walking through the private MIB and comparing that with a walk through the MIB-2 MIB.

Pete

hi,

I make a snmp walk for mib-2 and private cisco,

the result is the same

counters are never reset ;

Is there a possibility to reset the MIB without rebooting the switch?

thanx.

Hi,

Genrally MIB value used to communicate with snmp server with some OID vlaue,I would suggest in your case Try to download  common mibs for cisco platform from the below link and run snmp walk to discover the switch and then check the interface reset counter is happening or not.

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/detail.html

Regards

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: