cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to PXE across VLANS

cucps
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to use Novell ZENworks Configuration Management to image machines I have on my campus.  The optimum setup for this is to have the clients PXE boot to check the server for work that needs to be done.  When I try to set this up I can only get it to work on the same VLAN.

Here is my setup:

We have a Cisco Cat. 6509 that does all our VLAN routing and our DHCP.  The PXE server is on VLAN 18 with an IP of 10.1.18.6 it is running on a VMware host.  The VMware host is on VLAN 10 with a management IP of 10.1.10.20.  The port this is plugged into is configured as follows:

description VM Netowrk
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 10
switchport mode trunk
no ip address

The VMware host is configured to put the VMs on VLAN 18.  I'm not positive that this is the best method or configuration, but I have multiple servers setup up this way and  connectivity is working fine.  Please let me know if there is a better way, I do not claim to be an expert in VLANs or VMware in any way.  I have the helper-address set on the VLAN I'm trying to PXE  (VLAN 12), it is configured with 10.1.18.6 (PXE server).  Here is the DHCP pool and VLAN interface configs.

ip dhcp pool VLAN12.IT.DATA
   network 10.1.12.0 255.255.255.192
   default-router 10.1.12.1
   dns-server 10.1.18.10
   domain-name cucps.k12.va.us
   netbios-name-server 10.1.18.10
   netbios-node-type h-node
   lease 3

interface Vlan12

description IT DATA
ip address 10.1.12.1 255.255.255.192
ip helper-address 10.1.18.6
ip dhcp relay information trusted
ip pim sparse-dense-mode

If I put in  option 66 and 67 on the dhcp pool on the Cisco, I can PXE my machine,  but I get a problem with the imaging server address coming up as  0.0.0.0.  I found Novell documentation which tells me option 66/67 are not  supported with the version of ZENworks I'm using.  If I remove these options, PXE tells me no boot  file specified.  I have set ip forward-protocol udp 67/68, per Novell instructions, on  the 6509.  If I move the same machine to VLAN 18, everything works fine.

1 Reply 1

cucps
Level 1
Level 1

I rebuilt this DHCP scope on a Windows server, put in the correct helper address and it worked fine.  It must have something to do with running the 6509 as a DHCP server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: