cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accepted error amounts...general rule of thumb

Steve Neff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, just looking for some advice.  I've got my CCNA but my experience is a year at best with actual on job experience.

I recently setup a T1 point to point connection with two Cisco 1700 seriers with WIC's.  Everything is working smoothly.

I have noticed that after 3 weeks of them running one router has 4 input errors, 1 Giant, and 1 Frame error.  The other router had 3 Input errors and 3 frames.

There were no CRC's or any other errors.

Is this somewhat acceptable or normal to have these errors?  Anything I can do to maybe clear up the errors I do have?

What should I be looking for?

Any advice would be helpful.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steve,

Usually if the amount of errors are more then 1 percent of the total interface traffic Cisco suggests some kind of link problem that should be isolated and repaired. You can also clear your interface statistic and monitor the interface to see if the numbers increase.

So, in you case the numbers are too small for now.

Here is document for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/troubleshooting/guide/tr1915.html

HTH

Reza

Hey thanks.  I reallly appreciate that.  Yea i have

reset the counters and monitored but its so small of a difference.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card