Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to know what policy is dropping a packet via CLI

Hi all:

I would like to know if there is a tool, command or whatever (not ASDM) in order to know if the FWSM is dropping a packet.

I tried with capture command with the type acl-drop all option but the appliances doesn't show anything even creating an specific access-list that drops my connections.

With the normal capture neither shows if a packet is being dropped, only shows the packet but no more information. Through ASDM is impossible to see nothing with real monitoring o buffer and filtering by my IP, although it must show my dropping packets, it doesn't.

Thanks a lot,

Francisco

4 Replies 4

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Francisco,

The FWSM doesn't have a packet tracer feature like the ASA.

Also the ASP drop capture are only for control traffic.

The existing conns packets are processed in hardware so the functionality is not the same and the cpu cannot give you answer with one command.

Your best bet is syslogs at level 7.

I hope it helps.

PK

sh np all stats | e : 0

Will give you quite a bit of output.  Note the "space" after the ":".  If you sent 1000 pings with timeout 0 from a host, you can use the output to see if any counter went up by a thousand.

You can clear the counter by issuing "clear np all stats".

-KS

PK, what do you mean with syslog at level 7?.

-KS, there are a huge traffic passing through the FWSM, I tried the command you said but it's very difficult to know if the interesting traffic is being drooped.

Thanks for your replies,

Francisco

level 7 is debugging level.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card