cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS Load Balancing

darrell.lewis
Level 1
Level 1

I've configured a load balanced environment using Round Robin and I'm having some trouble with connectivity from clients to the real servers. I've read through the papers on IOS SLB and they say that each new connection is assigned to a server based on a circular fashion unless you weight the connections. I have everything default. I'm just confused when they say each new connection do they mean each new client or each connection? What I mean is I have a client making multiple connections, Is each connection from the single client assigned round robin or is it client based(multiple connections from one client assigned to one server) ?

Thanks...

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

darrell.lewis wrote:

I've configured a load balanced environment using Round Robin and I'm having some trouble with connectivity from clients to the real servers. I've read through the papers on IOS SLB and they say that each new connection is assigned to a server based on a circular fashion unless you weight the connections. I have everything default. I'm just confused when they say each new connection do they mean each new client or each connection? What I mean is I have a client making multiple connections, Is each connection from the single client assigned round robin or is it client based(multiple connections from one client assigned to one server) ?

Thanks...

Darrell

They mean each new connection. So a client making multiple connections could actually be sent to different real servers. That is why they have a "sticky" option which tells the switch to send all the connections from the same IP address (ie client) to the same real server. The default is not to have sticky connections.

Jon

Thanks. That helps clear up the confusion. I appreciate it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card