cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-tree now producing a block in new IOS

gkeel
Level 1
Level 1

I have several Cisco Catalyst 3560 switches configured with multiple VLANs.  Originally I was running IOS c3560-I9-mz.122-20.se4 and when I attached a Cisco 3550 switch in a basically unconfigured state to one of the access ports on the 3560, it would connect and act like it was a dumb hub or switch attached.

I just updated the Cisco 3560 switches to IOS c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE.  Now when I connect the 3550 switch to the 3560, I get the following on the console of the C3550:

00:08:04: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/24 VLAN1.
00:08:04: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/24 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent port type.

Using something like a cheap Netgear 16 port 10/100 switch does not do this and works just fine.  However, I use the unconfigured 3550 switch as part of my traveling classroom setup and really need it to act as it did before so that I don't have to configure one of the ports as a trunk port and then chnage vlans on the switch each time I move to a new location with different vlans.

Any ideas on how I could do this?

Thanks.

Gene

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GKEEL wrote:

I'll try the

switchport nonegoiate

Gene

Another option if this is used for training purposes is to turn off STP on vlan 1 on the 3550 ie.

no spanning-tree vlan 1

however you obviously need to be very careful if you do this ie. you could bring the network down.

Jon

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GKEEL wrote:

I have several Cisco Catalyst 3560 switches configured with multiple VLANs.  Originally I was running IOS c3560-I9-mz.122-20.se4 and when I attached a Cisco 3550 switch in a basically unconfigured state to one of the access ports on the 3560, it would connect and act like it was a dumb hub or switch attached.

I just updated the Cisco 3560 switches to IOS c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE.  Now when I connect the 3550 switch to the 3560, I get the following on the console of the C3550:

00:08:04: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/24 VLAN1.
00:08:04: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/24 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent port type.

Using something like a cheap Netgear 16 port 10/100 switch does not do this and works just fine.  However, I use the unconfigured 3550 switch as part of my traveling classroom setup and really need it to act as it did before so that I don't have to configure one of the ports as a trunk port and then chnage vlans on the switch each time I move to a new location with different vlans.

Any ideas on how I could do this?

Thanks.

Gene

Gene

The port on the 3560 that you are connecting the 3550 to, is it configured as a trunk or an access port. It should be configured as an access port but it looks like it has been configured as a trunk.

Jon

No, it is configured as an access port.  FYI, since I may not have been clear, the blocking is happening on the 3550 when it is connected.

GKEEL wrote:

No, it is configured as an access port.  FYI, since I may not have been clear, the blocking is happening on the 3550 when it is connected.

Gene

No, i understood that, it's just that the 3550 is saying it is receiving an 802.1Q packet on that port. That is why it is blocking it because the port on the 3550 is configured as an access port.

What does "sh int trunk" on the 3560 show as regards the port that connects to the 3550 ?

Jon

The only trunking port that is shown on that switch is GI0/4 (That is a trunk port that connects to my main switch.  I am currently connecting the 3550 to port FA0/19.

I still have one of the 3560 switches that is running the older IOS (c3560-i9-mz.122-20.SE4.bin) and connecting to that switch on an access port configured the same as the new IOS port works just fine as it always has.

It must be something that has changed in one of the versions between the old and new.  I just wish I could figure out how to make this work with the new. 

Gene

On the fa0/19 port on the 3560 switch what is the config ?

Can you make sure it is configured as such

int fa0/19

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

switchport access vlan 1

Jon

Here is the config for the port fa0/19:

interface FastEthernet0/19
switchport access vlan 2
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 5
srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
mls qos trust device cisco-phone
mls qos trust cos
auto qos voip cisco-phone
spanning-tree portfast

Note that this configuration worked fine with the old version of IOS.

Hello Gene,

post a sh interface type x/y switchport taken from old and new IOS

the default settings for a switchport should be switchport dynamic desirable that should mean: if on the other side there is tries to use DTP to negotiate a trunk with other side.

Here what can have changed: if C3550 answers to DTP I'm afraid C3560 can run into trunk if it misunderstands the C3550 answer.

what if:

you configure a C3550 port as a trunk

or you try to explicitly disable dynamic trunking setting

swithport mode access  on the C3560 side this is a minimal configuration step that could help

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I could do that but if I do, then I have to reconfigure the switch everytime I move from one training location to another as I have different VLANs configured in each location.  Since I am not the person who takes the equipemtn out, I need it to work with a standard config.

Rather than have to set it as a trunking port, I would simply purchase a new cheap Netgear to use which is probably the best solution to the issue.  Just weird how the IOS upgrade changed how the switches are working.

Are you sure the 3550 does not have any config?

Hello Gene,

what Jon is suggesting is that the C3560 may be acting as a trunk on its side causing a mismatch on BDPU type because standard 802.1D STP Bdpus are used on access ports and cisco proprietary BDPUs on 802.1Q trunks so the C3550 reacts to this by disabling the port.

so it is important to see what the C3560 thinks of the port on its side

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The port configurations for both the old IOS switch and the new IOS switch are identical as I posted for the FA0/19 interface.

Sh interface typex/y is not a valid command for the IOS.

Hello Gene,

sorry we usually use placeholders here in the forums type x/y could stand for fas0/19 sorry I was not clear

as Jon has suggested the switchport nonegotiate should disable DTP negotiation and should force the port to act as an access port

may you post

sh interface 0/19 switchport

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I'll try the

switchport nonegoiate

GKEEL wrote:

I'll try the

switchport nonegoiate

Gene

Another option if this is used for training purposes is to turn off STP on vlan 1 on the 3550 ie.

no spanning-tree vlan 1

however you obviously need to be very careful if you do this ie. you could bring the network down.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco