Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS and OCS

dnicolaides
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

im not familiar with the MS products and need some advice with CUPS please.

i have a client who currently have a small CUCM 7 installation with a small UCCX installation and they are now looking to extend the CUCM bit across the organisation. the directors so an advert for the MS OCS 2007 where an IM chat was excalated to a video conference and the video feed followed the audio around the room (i think this is called round table) and they want it.

1) what MS products do they need to be able to offer IM, Presence and the escalation to audio/video conferencing?

2) will this integrate with the existing CUCM7 installation and how?

3) if i offered them a Cisco solution like CUPS would they still need a conferencing solution or would the CUCM or CUPS be enough for the video conferencing?

4) if they went for the OCS, would it work with CUPC?

5) Currently on CUCM 7 they could run CUVA. would a user be able to dial into a video conference that was in progress between two sites?

I know that out the box CUCM can offer audio conferencing with software conference bridges. can it also offer VC?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dimitri

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are three ways to integrate OCS with CUCM:

1) Direct SIP

A SIP trunk was created between OCS and CUCM.  CUCM is acting as "enterprise PBX".

2) MOC RCC

No SIP trunk is required.  MOC send RCC request to OCS.  OCS routes the request to CUPS.  CUPS sends CTI control to CUCM.

3) CUCIMOC

No SIP trunk is required.  A Cisco plugin is installed on MOC.  This plugin sends CTI control directly to CUCM.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

1) what MS products do they need to be able to offer IM, Presence and the escalation to audio/video conferencing?

MS OCS has all those features.

2) will this integrate with the existing CUCM7 installation and how?

Yes, this can be integrated with existing CUCM7 or any PBX.  They called it PBX gateway.  Please consult MS for details.

3) if i offered them a Cisco solution like CUPS would they still need a conferencing solution or would the CUCM or CUPS be enough for the video conferencing?

With Cisco solution, you need some conference server to mux the video.  They called it MCU.

4) if they went for the OCS, would it work with CUPC?

OCS does not work with CUPC.  OCS works with MOC only.  But with domain federation, MOC can cummunicate with CUPC.

5) Currently on CUCM 7 they could run CUVA. would a user be able to dial into a video conference that was in progress between two sites?

Yes, but that requires MCU to mux the video.

Michael

Hi Michael,

thank you so much for that.

is OCS the equivalent to CUCM with built in additional features like IM, Presence and VC? if they took the OCS would they be able to just utilise the IM, Presence and VC without the call processing agent?

another question though, so if they wanted to use their existing CUCM and wanted IM, Presence and the ability to escalate to VC would they need both CUPS and MOC with either/both CUPC/MOC?

thanks again

Dimitri

I think you should compare OCS with CUPS, because both of them provides IM and presence, which are the "core feature" of collaboration.

CUCM is a phone system, which can be integrated with OCS or CUPS to provide phone features.

Generally speaking, OCS and CUPS is "either-or".  (though you may have both in some scenarios, such as MOC RCC).

Hope this helps.

Michael

Thanks again for all the info.

Another question then. How would i integrate CUCM 7.1 with OCS? Do i need to have CUCiMOC or can the integration be done purely in CUCM somewhere?

Regards,

Dimitri

There are three ways to integrate OCS with CUCM:

1) Direct SIP

A SIP trunk was created between OCS and CUCM.  CUCM is acting as "enterprise PBX".

2) MOC RCC

No SIP trunk is required.  MOC send RCC request to OCS.  OCS routes the request to CUPS.  CUPS sends CTI control to CUCM.

3) CUCIMOC

No SIP trunk is required.  A Cisco plugin is installed on MOC.  This plugin sends CTI control directly to CUCM.

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: