Views
Helpful
Replies

which cisco router to buy?

raoul2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a network of 70 cisco switches and recently acquired CiscoWorks. I understand I need to get a Cisco router to :

1.  use NTP to synchronise time on all the switches

2. use it a a Source Router (with IP SLA feature) when defining collectors in CiscoWorks IPM (Internetwork Performance Monitor).

Would Cisco series 800 or 1800 or 2800 router do the job? I know these are IOS features.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Raoul,

Can you provide more information?  How much bandwidth are you expecting the router to perform?  If requirements 1 & 2 are the only once you want then you can, I guess, use your core switch instead.  Otherwise, 850, 870, 860, 880 or 890 are good candidates.

Hi Leo

Yes the only requirements are 1 and 2. I had a go at using the core switch but it is a 3750 and does not have the IP SLA feature.

Thanks

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Raoul,

If you want to have router for below two opinion i would suggest to go with 1800 or 2800 will be more than enough for the requirement.

HTH

Regards

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco