Views
Helpful
Replies

How to do I prevent fail over

bret
Level 3
Level 3

This is actually a two part question.

First - I need to upgrade a wireless controller 4402 and I need update boot loader and software. Can I do both at the same time?

Second - How can I prevent the APS from failing over when I reboot with out having to go into each AP and take off secondary controller.

3 Replies 3

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The bootloader is actually part of the main image and will automatically be upgraded if needed.  A lot of people refer to the ER image as the bootloader which is a seperate file.  If you are upgrading the main image and the ER image you will want to load each image seperately and reboot between each load.

As far as failover, if its just for a controller reboot you could put the controllers in different mobility groups.  They shouldn't failover then.  Otherwise you would need to look at an ACL or AP authorization to keep them AP's from joining a different controller.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How can I prevent the APS from failing over when I reboot with out having to go into each AP and take off secondary controller.

Connect to the Service Port and disable the Management interface.  Upgrade the firmware and the ER from the Service Port.  Quick and easy!

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Specific to the AP failover. Why dont you deploy AP FALLBACK? When a controller falls offline for

any reason the APs join other controllers. HOWEVER when the controller comes online they will fallback to the controllers

you want with NO intervention from you.

fyi

Note

When an access point’s primary controller comes back online, the access point disassociates from the backup controller and reconnects to its primary controller. The access point falls back to its primary controller and not to any secondary controller for which it is configured. For example, if an access point is configured with primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers, it fails over to the tertiary controller when the primary and secondary controllers become unresponsive and waits for the primary controller to come back online so that it can fall back to the primary controller. The access point does not fall back from the tertiary controller to the secondary controller if the secondary controller comes back online; it stays connected to the tertiary controller until the primary controller comes back up.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: