Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM does not receive traps

Velin Georgiev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm running LMS 3.2 with DFM 3.2. It seems that DFM does not receive any traps from devices.

I'm sure that the traps from devices are coming to the LMS server, checked this with a sniffer.

DFM receiving port is default - udp 162
All DFM processes seem to be running, as seen under Common Services

I tried to find some information in the log files, and i found some errors but i don't know what they mean.

Here are the logs attached, and also the netstat and pdshow outputs

Any help?

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, the DFM.log was confusing.  No, DFM does not support SNMPv3 notifications.  What traps are you sending to DFM?  DFM is not a general purpose trap receiver.  Only certain traps will ever appear as-is in AAD.  Others will be processed, and turned into other DFM events.  See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.2/user/guide/TrapFwd.html for more details on what traps DFM supports.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It appears something other than DFM is bound to udp/162.  Post the output of "netstat -a -n -o -b".

Here it is the netstat output again.

UDP port 162 is occupied by sm_server.exe

By the way, does DFM supports receiving of SNMPv3 traps?

Anyway i tried with SNMPv2c traps and i cannot seem them in DFM Alerts and Activities

Okay, the DFM.log was confusing.  No, DFM does not support SNMPv3 notifications.  What traps are you sending to DFM?  DFM is not a general purpose trap receiver.  Only certain traps will ever appear as-is in AAD.  Others will be processed, and turned into other DFM events.  See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.2/user/guide/TrapFwd.html for more details on what traps DFM supports.

OK, I found what caused the problem.

I stopped LMS daemon manager and after some time executed again netstat -o -n -a -b.

Udp port 162 was still occupied by sm_server...Then i looked at the processes in windows task manager - i saw some LMS procesess pending, not sure why. Then i restarted the windows server and now DFM is receiving traps.

I know that DFM is not processing all the traps, i've got it in mind

I didn't know that it does not recognize SNMP v3 traps, but then i found that info in the DFM release notes

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco