Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

a couple questions around vpn and uc520

Hi,

we have made a couple of workshops to introduce the uc520 to our partners. During these workshops we collect a couple of questions around the vpn solutions of the uc520 and other sbcs products like sr500 and sa500.

First of all, what kind of VPN connections can I  make? I know that SSL VPN and Site-to-Site VPN is possible. What is about IPsec VPN to use the Cisco VPN Client with it, are any other kinds of VPNs which I can create?

How is this licensed? I know that 10 VPN connections are possible. To what refer this limitation of 10? 10 active vpn connections at the same time? 10 configured vpn connections overall, indipendently whether they are active or standby? 10 connections overall as mixture of e.g. 5 ssl vpn, 3 site to site vpn and 2 ipsec vpn?

How many VPN Connections can a SR500 manage?

How many VPN Connections can a SA500 manage?

Regards

Steffen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

For the UC520 and UC540, it is 10 active connections.  This is any combination of SSL, Cisco VPN Clients, and IPSEC between sites. 

For the UC560, it is 20 active connections.

SR520

10 SSL VPN connections (requires license)

20 IPSEC or VPN Client connections

SA520

2 SSL VPN connections (license upgradeable to 25)

50 IPSEC/client connections (doesn't use Cisco VPN Client, uses quickVPN or Greenbow)

SA540

50 SSL VPN connections (no license required)

100 IPSEC/client connections (doesn't use Cisco VPN Client, uses quickVPN or Greenbow)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

For the UC520 and UC540, it is 10 active connections.  This is any combination of SSL, Cisco VPN Clients, and IPSEC between sites. 

For the UC560, it is 20 active connections.

SR520

10 SSL VPN connections (requires license)

20 IPSEC or VPN Client connections

SA520

2 SSL VPN connections (license upgradeable to 25)

50 IPSEC/client connections (doesn't use Cisco VPN Client, uses quickVPN or Greenbow)

SA540

50 SSL VPN connections (no license required)

100 IPSEC/client connections (doesn't use Cisco VPN Client, uses quickVPN or Greenbow)

Hi Steven,

thanks for your answer. Why is quick VPN or Grennbow a better option than Cisco VPN Client?

We discussed your question a little among the internal team here.   We wanted to give some feedback, and appreciate your questions as it could influence product direction and capability....

Today, Cisco VPN Client offers some additional capabilities above what QuickVPN and Greenbow VPN clients can provide, but for most small businesses, the differences are thought not to be too material.  The Cisco VPN Client which works with Cisco EasyVPN Server helps simplify deployment of the VPN client to large numbers of remote access users as is typically found in an enterprise environment.  For smaller deployments, we are thinking that the VPN solution we offer will work fine.

What are your thoughts?  Thanks again for sharing with us here.  It does make a difference.

Steve

Systems Engineer

US Field Channel Sales

Steve,

For me, I would rather see it supported using the Cisco VPN.  This brings a consistency along the product line, that if the customer grows out of their existing solution, they would be able to move to a bigger (asa, router, whatever) and continue to use the same vpn client.

Thanks!

Chris

does anybody know that ssl vpn works with uc 560?

according to cisco, ssl vpn on the uc series aren't supported officially? but it's kinda weird because you have the ability to setup ssl vpn through CCA.

let me know

SSL VPN works just fine on a UC540 I just installed using CCA 2.2.1, so I presume it should work on a UC560, as well.

i used cca 2.2 as well to set it up. but when i tried to call TAC to get some troubleshooting assistant, they told me that ssl vpn isn't going to work with uc series. i am little bit unclear about this.

thanks...

At first, the UC did not support SSL VPN.  It does today.