Renaming a flash: file with "?" as the filename

Answered Question
Jan 13th, 2010
User Badges:

OK, in the process of doing a password recovery I somehow renamed config.text to "?"

As predicted, when I try to rename this back to config.text I get no further than

switch# rename flash:?

at which time IOS is kind enough to help me out by spilling out a directory listing of flash:

Any ideas on how to rename that file? Is there some why of disabling command line help/completion?

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 7 years 2 months ago

rand.hall wrote:

OK, in the process of doing a password recovery I somehow renamed config.text to "?"

As predicted, when I try to rename this back to config.text I get no further than

at which time IOS is kind enough to help me out by spilling out a directory listing of flash:

Any ideas on how to rename that file? Is there some why of disabling command line help/completion?

Try typing ctrl+v before the question mark. crtl-v should act as a backslash which makes the ? a literal character which should stop IOS trying to interpret it as a special character.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Wed, 01/13/2010 - 12:40
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

rand.hall wrote:

Try typing ctrl+v before the question mark. crtl-v should act as a backslash which makes the ? a literal character which should stop IOS trying to interpret it as a special character.

Jon

Leo Laohoo Wed, 01/13/2010 - 13:02
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks for the tip Jon (+5).

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content