Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity voice message

Hi I have a Unity 5.0 with an Exchange 2007 as a message store partner, when the Unity sends the voice message and the subscribers open the mail in the outlook, the attachment is the subject of the email with an envelope at the left, and to see the .wav attachment (the voice message) the subscriber has to click in the first "attachment", so the Unity doesn't realize that there is a new voice message and it never sends the MWI to turn on, and also when the subscriber try to hear the voice message in the phone the Unity tells to the subscriber that there is not a voice mail

I attached an image for you guys to the way the email looks when it arrives to the subscriber'suntitled.JPG inbox.

10 Replies 10

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

All voice mail created by Unity is of message class type IPM.Note.Voice.Unity.  If there is any type of anti-virus scanner, or disclaimer tool on Exchange that is touching these messages and changing the note type to anything other than the above mentioned; Unity will not recognize it as a voice mail.  Also, to add to that, if these voice mails are being moved out of the "Inbox" to a different folder, or a rule is moving them upon receipt, Unity will not toggle MWI or recognize it as a valid voice mail.  Unity only reads from the "Inbox".

Hope that helps,

Brad

Hi Brad, thank you for your reply, the exchange administrator applies a rule that makes the .wav not to be encapsulated, but as you wrote maybe an anti-virus or the disclaimer tool is apply first making the voice message to be that way. I will ask the exchange administrator to check that and I will be in touch with you to tell you how was everything going. Thank you again.

Hi -

Hopefully I am not confusing things by adding my thoughts here.  The jpg file you sent showed the message as it appears in Outlook Web Access.  How does the message show in the regular Outlook client installed on the user's desktop?  Do you have ViewMail for Outlook installed on the users' PCs? As Brad mentioned, there are definitely antivirus programs and Exchange filters or policies that can strip the attached wav file or even alter the message class.  But without ViewMail for Outlook installed on the user's PC, the message will show as an envelope icon in Outlook.  When the user opens a voice message, he will see the attachment.  If he double-clicks on the attachment, then Windows Media player should default as the player (again, without ViewMail installed).  If you are using ViewMail, the icon of the message in Outlook should show as an envelope with a speaker.  If you have ViewMail installed on the user's PC using Outlook, not OWA, and you still cannot get the right icon, then pursue what Brad mentioned in his post.  My post is just offering another troubleshooting technique.

Regards, Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thank you so much for your reply to. I have some questions regarding this information that you wrote.

Does the attachment in OWA can be different from the same attachment in Outlook...does the exchange treat them in a different way? ...If there is a difference what would happen if a subscriber is using outlook and OWA at the same time? how does the Unity knows hoy check the subscriber's inbox? Does the ViewMail affect the OWA and Outlook or just the Outlook?

Thank you so much in advanced.

Gabriel

Hi -

When you use OWA, you are not directly connected to your mailbox server as you do when you use the Outlook client.  With Cisco and Microsoft (for that matter) unified messaging, "Down-level clients and OWA clients simply get voicemails as *.wma or *.wav attachments. " Here is a sample article on Microsoft's unified messaging with Exchange 2007 - http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid43_gci1237252,00.html.  ViewMail for Outlook is a custom add-in to Outlook that is installed on each user's PC.  ViewMail is not accessible from OWA because you are coming in thru a web application running on the hub transport server (front-end Exchange server), to see your messages.  Using Exchange 2007, I don't think will hurt if your users try to use OWA and Outlook at the same time (Outlook 2000 used to have problems with this), but why would they want to?  Regarding MWI, Unity is constantly checking the status of the user's inbox for new voice messages.  When a new voice message arrives, Unity sends the set lamp instruction to CUCM to turn on the phone's message waiting lamp.  As Brad mentioned, if an Outlook client rule is moving the voice message immediately to an Outlook inbox folder other than the user's primary inbox folder, this action will not trigger message waiting.  If this is not the case, then I suspect either Outlook or OWA being left open on the desktop in Preview mode might be marking the voice message as READ.  This action would turn off MWI and may be happening fast enough that your users do not notice.

Hope this helps, Ginger

Hi Ginger, thank you for your replay.

Ok I gotted, well I did some tests an I can see the voice mail in OWA as a new message when it arrives, so I think nothing is marking it as read. I will make the test by configuring the outlook to see how the attachment arrives. Something I have to tell you is that this works fine before so I think there is a problem with the message class of the voice mails as you and Brad told me, but anyway I will check the outlook with the ViewMail installed in the machine. I found this document that is very interested:

http://www.cisco.com.kz/application/pdf/paws/111436/unity-dtrule-mwi.pdf

Hi -

The link you sent should definitely be considered if your business is using the disclaimer with Exchange 2007 as indicated - Have you checked with Cisco TAC on this yet?  You also mentioned this used to work before, so can you tell us what changed in your environment?  What configuration were you using, Windows OS/Exchange/Unity and related versions?  Were you also using OWA before the problem occurred or Outlook?

Thanks, Ginger

We're sending all this information to the exchange administrator, to check if there is the disclaimer working in that Exchange. The previous enviroment was this  same Unity (5.0(1)) with an Exchange 2003. After that the Exchange administrator upgrade the server to Exchage 2007, everything works fine a few months but suddenly the problem appears. The exchange administrator used to makes changes in that server without consulting to us nothing about the Unity.

Ginger about the other post, I installed the View Mail for the Outlook in one machine, and as you said the attachment appears as an evelope with the speaker, eventhough the MWI didn't turn on and in the TUI there wasn't a voice message.

Hi -

OK, so if things were working before with Exchange 2007 and I assume the Unity 5.X system was partnered as you earlier indicated OK with this Exchange server AND permissions wizard was run for this new server's information stores before user mailboxes were moved, something else has occurred.  Have you tried for grins rerunning permissions wizard?  Check one of the user accounts in ADUC, filter for advanced features so you can check the Security tab.  Does the unitymsgstoresvc account still show there?  This is the service account that checks the user's mailbox for new voice messages, via the Unity AvNotifier and AvMsgStoreMonitorSvc services (not sure if I spelled correctly).  Anyway, this could be another potential reason the MWI is not getting turned on.  Also while you are checking the Active Directory security tab for a user, click on Advanced tab in Security to ensure that inheritance is checked for the user.

Ginger

Hi Ginger, Brad,

The problem was finally solved. After the exchange server crashed and went down for an entire day, the MWI starts to work again. The problem was with the message class of the voicemail as you both told me before. I can check this with the DohPrep Test tool, I check a voice mail of the user mailbox that was sent before the exchange crash and I can see that the message class is IPM.Note, after that I check a voice mail that was sent after this crash and the message class is IPM.Note.Voice.Unity. Also there is no envelope in the attachment and there aren't any disclaimer added to the voicemail.

Thank you to both of you for all the information and the help.

Gabriel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: