Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 800 series routers

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I think I already know the answer to this, but are there any of the 800 series routers that support either UPnP or an equivalent? I think I'm going to have to go with a Linksys router for that.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

j.blakley wrote:

All,

I think I already know the answer to this, but are there any of the 800 series routers that support either UPnP or an equivalent? I think I'm going to have to go with a Linksys router for that.

Thanks,

John

John

Long time no see

I assume you are talking about UPnP forwarding ?. If so this seems to be more of a home user function and so it isn't supported on the 800 series routers as far as i know.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello John,

Happy New Year!

just to make more clear

what do you mean with "UPnP"?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

j.blakley wrote:

All,

Thanks,

John

John

Long time no see

I assume you are talking about UPnP forwarding ?. If so this seems to be more of a home user function and so it isn't supported on the 800 series routers as far as i know.

Jon

Happy New Year Giuseppe and John! UPnP is a function for home users to be able to support UPnP devices behind a natted address. I have two XBoxes (one for me and my son has one), and I'm running a Cisco 871W now. The problem is that Microsoft doesn't allow you to change the ports that it runs on and it relies on three types of NAT: Strict, Moderate, or Open. Open NAT allows you to be able to chat, play online, etc, without restrictions. In order to get this to work with my XBox, I needed to forward ports to mine only, but I can't do that for two for the same port.

So, I can start a game and my son can join, but he can't join 75% of the time to others because his nat type is set to strict. UPnP solves that problem and shows both open (I tested with an old Dlink router that I had). The Dlink doesn't support QoS though, which I need. In order for me to keep the Cisco router, I'd need to buy a block of addresses from my provider, and then forward one address to each XBox. While that would solve my problem, it would be less expensive to buy a Linksys router in the long run. :-)

Thanks!

John

P.S. I HAVE to get on here more often. Work has been busy with new projects and all! Good to hear from you guys!

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card