Views
Helpful
Replies

WRV210 multiple pptp connections from the same IP

tonio.caputo
Level 1
Level 1

Question,

I have a WRV210 connected to internet, what I'm trying to do is connect 2 computers behing this router

(so the same IP address seen from outside) to a PPTP server.

1 - Connection works perfectly well

2 - 2nd. connection obtains IP from the DHCP/VPN server, but after a while it goes down, or when

trying just to ping any computer inside the VPN.

I tried a couple of configurations on the router but still the same problem.

I'm not network expert but browsing in the internet seems that this has to do with NAT and GRE packages,

not sure if this router is able to manage this kind of thing.

Any help trying to solve this problem (if possible) will be greatly welcome.

thanks in advance

tonio

2 Replies 2

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, the WRV210 can handle multiple connections. This is usually the connection on the receiving end that will cause reactions like you describe.

There are not many settings that will affect the traffic going out of this router. The router settings is for incoming traffic mainly. A few other  questions to ask is,

are  either the pc connecting to the router hard wired or wireless? what subnet is the WRV210 running on? I have seen if you leave the default 192.168.1.1 this can cause certain type of device not to connect locally(Strange i know) but i haven't see this to affect remotely,but this would be something to try!

Questions?

Is it a certain user that is getting logged out ?

Is it only the second person that logs into the pptp server getting disconnected?

Is the computer wired or wireless that is being disconnected?

Thanks,

Jason

Questions?

Is it a certain user that is getting logged out ?

Nope it has not to do with the user, just the 2nd one that tries to login

Is it only the second person that logs into the pptp server getting disconnected?

The 2nd 3rd, etc anyone that's not the first

Is the computer wired or wireless that is being disconnected?

I've tried all the possible combinations with wireless and wired connections, and always the same result

By the other side, this VPN is using 192.168.5.* & 192.168.50.* as their local IP addresses

so there should be not a problem with 192.168.1 addresses, and seems that this router's DHCP

server can only use 192.168.1.* addresses

Just to remember the 1st connections works perfectly well, no problem at all.

Thanks and hope this helps

tonio