UCCX stand alone to high availability

Unanswered Question
Jan 14th, 2010

I have a production UCCX signle server deployment on 7.0(1). I am going to upgrade this to high availability and just needed to check out the procedure to upgrade the existing production server to the first node in HA. My 2nd server is already built, with UCCX and SQL 2000 so it is ready to go. Upon reading the upgrade guide it seems like all I need to do is upgrade SQL and then apply the HA license (it is sort of vague I feel for something this crucial). So you do not need to re-run the install to define first node?

Any opinion (or link to a more detailed document) will be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Tanner Ezell Thu, 01/14/2010 - 10:09

David,

This unfortunately is one of those instances where you'll have to rebuild your server and select it as the first node.

RSwartzmiller Fri, 01/15/2010 - 07:34

1. Upgrade first node to MS SQL 2000

2. Upload standby license to first node

3. Install Cisco provide Window 2003 on new machine

4. Install Unified CXX 7.0 on new machine

5. Install MS SQL 2000 on new machine

6. Access CCX Administration page of the new machine

7. Choose Add to Cluster, then click setup

8. In the Cluster Server IP Address, enter the ip address of the first node. Put in the usename and password, then click next

9. Check the boxes of want you want to run on your new server, then click next

10. Check the box for the each datastore, then click next

11. After the you see the Cisco Unified CCX Setup Result Information, close your browser and open a new one

12. Access CCX Administration page of the first node

13. Go to System>Control Center, make sure your new machine show up as slave. 

Tanner Ezell Fri, 01/15/2010 - 10:05

Based on your response it appears to assume that the server is already setup as the "First node" as opposed to the "single node". Can you confirm?

davidkcampbell Fri, 01/15/2010 - 21:49

The system I am upgrading is not First Node. I have had a couple of people I respect tell me that you just need to upgrade SQL and apply the license. The documentation is vague (or assumes as you said).

donmitswv Wed, 05/12/2010 - 22:06

I know this is an old post but for the sake of the community the answer is yes. if it was set up as a

stand alone node to begin with it can be changed to first node using the cet.bat tool to change the startup behavior of the appadmin page as described here.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1846/products_tech_note091

86a00805a7acc.shtml

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

1. On the CRS server, go to C:\Program Files\wfavvid\, and double-click the cet.bat file.

2. Click No when the warningappears.

3. Right-click the AppAdminSetupConfig object in the left pane, and select the option Create.

4. Click OK.

5 .In the new window, click the com.cisco.crs.cluster.config.AppAdminSetupConfig tab.

6. Choose Fresh Install from the drop-down list in order to change the value for Setup  State.

7. Click OK

8. After you create the AppAdminSetupConfig object, log in with the user name  Administrator and password ciscocisco, and then run the setup again. /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

this will allow you to change the node from stand alone to first node  by re-running the initial UCCX setup wizard.

Don Mynes

Aaron Harrison Thu, 05/13/2010 - 00:25

Hi

You don't need to run the setup again on the first node.

If you don't have full SQL on it, you need to install it.

You have to install a license that includes HA but that doesn't actually change anything.

When you run appadmin for the first time on the second node, you provide a UCCX administrator account and the system makes the necessary changes.

Some tips though:

- Make sure you install the same components in the same order - if, for example, you install the OS patches before you install SQL, you can end up with minor difference variations that prevent the addition from completing. If this happens you need to bring them to the same level by re-running patches etc.

- The secondary server has to be equal or better spec - for example if it has smaller HDDs, it will fail to add.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted January 14, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Stats:
Replies:6 Overall Rating:5
Views:3449 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content