cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509E failure

andrew.trick
Level 1
Level 1

Last night one of our 6509s mysteriously stopped working.  When I came in at 3:30 in the morning, the power was on, fans running, but the blades/modules were all dark except for the supervisor.   When I plugged in a laptop with a console cable, it came up with a:" rommon 1 >" prompt.  I powered it off and on and things seem to be working now, but the log is full only of the powering up messages.  Our syslog also shows nothing. That 6509 has been up and running without problems for half a year.

Any ideas what could have caused this or what I can look for?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

andrew.trick wrote:

Last night one of our 6509s mysteriously stopped working.  When I came in at 3:30 in the morning, the power was on, fans running, but the blades/modules were all dark except for the supervisor.   When I plugged in a laptop with a console cable, it came up with a:" rommon 1 >" prompt.  I powered it off and on and things seem to be working now, but the log is full only of the powering up messages.  Our syslog also shows nothing. That 6509 has been up and running without problems for half a year.

Any ideas what could have caused this or what I can look for?

Andrew

Pretty much impossible to say without logs. It could be a software or hardware issue. Couple of things you can do

1) run a diagnostic on the 6500 to check hardware - do this out of hours though for obvious reasons

2) check the bug toolkit to see if your IOS version has any bugs that relate to software crashes

Other than that, without any logs etc. not much else can be done.

Jon

CHRISTINE BERNS
Level 1
Level 1

You might check the sup-bootflash: and see if any crashinfo files were written.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card