Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CER 7.1.1 install - no NTP server option

Trying to install CER 7.1.1.  When I get to the Network Time Protocol Client Configuration window it prompts me to put in an NTP server IP address.  The install never prompts me to configure an NTP server or not.  The install doc says that I should get prompted to choose NTP or not, just like a CUCM install.  Did I do something wrong?  I tried it several times and get the same thing.  I have a Not For Resale disc and this is in a lab.  Is there something special about that disc? I don't want to use NTP but I configured a Win2K3 server to be the NTP server, it's reachable but the install can never connect to it.  Needless to say, I can't finish the install.  Below is what I get.

Network Time Protocol Client Configuration

NTP  Server 1  ---------
NTP Server 2  ---------

NTP  Server 3 ----------

NTP  Server 4 ----------

NTP  Server 5 ----------

There is no option to choose No NTP.  You either  have to put in an NTP server or you can't move on with the  installation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is the case.... you must use NTP for this.  I think most of the new UC 7.1 products require NTP now.   CUCM, CUC, CER.

You should use a Cisco layer 3 swich and do this. (or some NTP source)  It usually will not work with Windows. (or good luck trying, I never get it to work)

I use a switch and point my the NTP source the gateway or the VLAN on the switch and it works fine. (as long as NTP is setup on the switch)  Voice routers do not count

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is the case.... you must use NTP for this.  I think most of the new UC 7.1 products require NTP now.   CUCM, CUC, CER.

You should use a Cisco layer 3 swich and do this. (or some NTP source)  It usually will not work with Windows. (or good luck trying, I never get it to work)

I use a switch and point my the NTP source the gateway or the VLAN on the switch and it works fine. (as long as NTP is setup on the switch)  Voice routers do not count

lusandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you guys are doing great,

I would like to let you know that the feature it is working as designed, the call manager will need the NTP server to provide the hour to the phones, and to log the all the information, but the problem, is that you are running a call manager based on linux, and that call manager version does not support implementation of the windows ntp server, as reflected on the bug : CSCte17541

SRND to specifically mention that Windows NTP server is not supported

Symptom:

CUCM is unable to sync to an NTP server.

Conditions:

CUCM NTP configuration is pointing to a Windows NTP server.

Workaround:

Configure a linux or IOS NTP server.

I hope this information will help you.

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Myths:

Myth #1 You cannot use Windows as NTP server for Cisco Appliance (CUCM, CER, etc.).  You'll have to use Cisco switches or routers. (CSCte17541)

Myth #2  Cisco CUCM only support NTP V4 (version 4).  Since Windows NTP is V3 (version 3), it won't work with CUCM.  (CSCsw17043).

Facts:

Fact #1 Cisco CUCM (and other VOS-based appliance) supports NTP v3 and v4.

Fact #2 Cisco CUCM (and other VOS-based appliance) can use Windows as NTP source.  Registry cofiguration required.

If Windows is using CMOS clock, the default dispersion would be 10.  This is too high to be trusted by VOS NTP client (CUCM, CER, etc.).  That's why they won't sync up to Windows NTP by default.  All you need to do is to set the "LocalClockDispersion" to 0 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config.  (If it's not already there, create it as DWORD).  Then restart Windows Time service.

For more registry settings, please see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263%28WS.10%29.aspx

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

NIce job on the myth and facts!  I did not know about the reg hack for windows.   I usually use an IOS switch somewhere on the network anyways.  The NTP Time sync is the one of the most important aspects of an install or database cluster.

Thanks Michael!

Thanks for the replies.  I was using an installation guide, below, that shows the option to choose NTP or not on step 18.  Is the document wrong then?  In any case, I tried the hacks for Windows, no go.  I tried Linux NTP {Ubuntu], no go.  Otherwise, I just have a voice gateway and a 3524 that doesn't do NTP server.   Any suggestions on getting Linux to work with CER NTP?  Thanks.

Step 18 On the Network Time Protocol Client Configuration page, you are asked if you want to set up external Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers.

Note Cisco strongly recommends that you use external NTP servers to ensure that the system time is kept accurate.

If you click Yes, the system displays a second Network Time Protocol Client Configuration page. In the fields provided, enter the IP address or hostname of the external NTP servers, then click OK. The Database Access Security Configuration page displays. Skip to Step 19.

If you click No, the Hardware Clock Configuration page appears. Enter the following information:

• Year [yyyy]

• Month [mm]

• Day [dd]

• Hour [hh]

• Minute [mm]

• Second [ss]

When you have finished entering this information, click OK. The Database Access Security Configuration page appears.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/7_0/english/administration/guide/e911inst.html

On newer version of software, NTP becomes mandatory instead of optional.

The best practice is to point CUCM publisher to external NTP and point other servers to CM publisher.

Is your CUCM publisher synced up to NTP now?  You may verify it by using command "utils ntp status".

To debug NTP, you may use command "utils network capture file ntp count 100000 size all port 123".  Let it run for a couple minutes.  Press Ctrl-C to stop.  Then you may use command "file get activelog platform/cli/ntp.cap" to get the file.

Attach the file here.  We can take a look.

Thanks!

Michael

Thanks for the responses.  I got a router and used it for the NTP server.  The CER sync-ed up to it and I was able to finish the install.  I also just installed a 7.0.1 version and it gave me the option to use NTP or not.  So, the newer versions, apparently, require an external NTP server.  Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: