WAP4410N Connectivity control - Illegal MAC address

Unanswered Question
Jan 16th, 2010

I use a WAP4410N in Access Point mode and have it configured to control connectivity via approved MAC addresses.

I have just taken delivery of a Nokia 5800 mobile phone from Three that has a MAC address EC:9B:5B:xx:xx:xx.

When entering the 5800 MAC address in the WAP4410N's connectivity control table I get a popup warning "MAC address must be 12  Hex characters (0-9 and A-F) with optional delimiters (: or -), and the second bit is not a odd number". Although it is given as a "warning" it will not accept the MAC address.

I could of course disable the wifi MAC connectivity control without compromising the security too much, but this would be a last resort.

Is there any way around this?

Would you advise me to return the phone (would be a real hassle!!) because it may give problems in the future on other wifi networks?

If I do return the phone there is no guarantee that the replacement would have a more "standard" MAC address. My wife took delivery of the same phone yesterday, but from Orange. It's MAC address starts 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and has presented no problem. I have lodged queries with both Three and Nokia, but had no response as yet.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rob Campbell Sun, 01/24/2010 - 05:40

Update: There was something else wrong with this phone (radio didn't work) so I had to return it to my service provider anyway. The replacement phone had a legal MAC address so all is now well.

I would still be interested in the answers to my questions though if anyone has any wisdom in these matters.

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network