cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inline Power on 881 Router

joe.ho
Level 1
Level 1

I am runing IOS 12.4(20)T3 on the Cisco 881 router. I am trying to enable the inline power on the interface fa0. I have the inline power source hook up the to router and the phone hook up to the port. I tried both Cisco phone and Nortel IP phone on both fa0 and fa1. But nothing is happening.  From the documentation it should be auto detect. Command reference shows inline power command is

Router(config-if)# power inline auto/never

But there is no such option in the CLI. Can someone please tell me what I should do to enable the inline power. Thanks.

18 Replies 18

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Basic question but just checking: Did you install the PoE daughter card onto the mainboard?

The 881 already has fa0 and fa1 ready for POE according to the data sheet. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't see from the data sheet it requires POE daughter card.

The 881 can only run PoE on these ports with the addition of an optional intermal module and an external 48v power supply.  Without the internal module, the IOS will not recognize the system's ability to run PoE.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Thanks for the information. I see from the data sheet table there is a 800-IL-PM=2 for the inline power module. I believe we ordered the module with the router but don't know if they came installed or separately. Would you know a show command on the router that will tell me if I have the module install or not?

I have not touched one of these myself, but the module should show up in a show inventory.  If it does not, you could try a show diagnostic.  You are running a new enough IOS that it should recognize the module and the inline power commands, so I would guess that you most likely don't have the module installed.

Depending on who you purchased the system from, it could come installed or in a separate package.  The way Cisco packages items, it would be hard to miss the extra part.  It would be a fairly large box.

Hope this helps,

Robert

I do have the module installed but here is no such command Router(config-if)# power inline auto/never available on my router. Is there a way to enable or check the PoE on the interface?

Branch#sh inventory
NAME: "881", DESCR: "881 chassis, Hw Serial#: FHK1333608N, Hw Revision: 0x100"
PID: CISCO881-SEC-K9   , VID: V01 , SN: FHK1333608N

NAME: "ESW Power Daughter Card", DESCR: "4-Port ESW Power Daughter Card"
PID: 800-IL-PM-2       , VID: 4.0, SN: FOC13335JA0

Branch(config)#int fa0
Branch(config-if)#p?
pppoe  pppoe-client

Branch(config-if)#p

Joe -

How did you ever get this resolved?  I'm running into exactly the same issue, where all of the right hardware components are there, but the command doesn't even exist.

Thanks...

Mike

You also need to connect a 48-vdc power adapter:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/860-880-890/hardware/installation/guide/3Connect880-860.html#wp1069654

The real mistery is to find the part number for said brick.

I found out some phones will turn on as soon as I plug in to the port but some doesn't. If it doesn't you need to shut and no shut the port.

The brick is a Delta Electronics ADP-80LB.

Hi, i have in my hands a 886, an extra power adaptor and a module for the chassis (POE card for the mainboard).

I really can't find a hw installation guide for the installation of this module.

Can some point this out?

Regards

Anthony

mpervere
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, both power bricks came with it.

Turns out the issue magically went away.  A combination of manually enabling CDP and 2 reboots, and the power negotiation just kind of started working.

Just curious, what are the P/Ns on the bricks labels ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: