cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Guest Access

rkoudmani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a wireless network set up with guest users being web authenticated and it all works nicely.  However the configured DHCP pool on the WLC (which is on the small side) tends to get eaten up with unauthenticated users who attach to the guest WLAN but aren't actually using it, they haven't actually auth'd via the web portal.  Is there a way to enable anything to stop these users getting an IP address unless they are actually going to use it?  Can I configure a key to access the WLAN before the web auth happens or something.

Thanks for your help

2 Replies 2

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

To use the web portal you need an ip address from the WLC.

Perhaps you can tweak the timeouts on the WLC.

jordanperks
Level 1
Level 1

Add a Requirement for a PSK in layer 2 authentication.

I have been considering this as well as it seems no matter how large a pool I create they keep getting eaten up by errant associations. The problem is that most users that will be utilizing the Guest Access wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to set a PSK up; with all the different supplicants out there, creating a how-to document is sort of out of the question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card