cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 router VPN Client Access from Linux?

v_zoltan1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!

I have a question to the creators and users of RV042.

Is there a way to connect with a linux machine to the VPN client access on a RV042? I'm trying to do this and playing with the settings but I'm not able to connect. I tried profiles in OpenVPN, OpenSwan, kVPNc and others. Mostly, my problem is that all of these softwares are asking for too many paramaters and other certificates than the only types that you can create on a RV042 (.pem files).

Please let me know if any of you were able to connect with a linux machine to the VPN on a RV042.

Also, I would like to ask CISCO/Linksys people why are they providing only a Windows client for this option? These are "small business" devices not windows based business devices!!!

Thank you!

Zoli

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lifennel
Level 1
Level 1

Good day Zoli,

Unfortunately, there aren't any Quickvpn clients available for Linux and Macintosh that work in conjunction with the Small Business/Small Business Pro Routers.

While I share your dismay that we formally do not support the use of Quickvpn with any Linux distribution or any Mac OS, we have seen limited success with workarounds that allow the use of third-party VPN Clients when used in conjunction with our routers.

I am curious as to whether or not you have explored Shrew Soft VPN Client (a simple Google search will yield results). I am currently taking a look and doing a little testing on my end to see if there is anything we can get to work. If you can, please let me know what distribution you are running, what version, and a list of all of the third-party vpn clients you have used.

I personally would love to see the development of a guide that we as support engineers can use to assist our Linux-savvy customer set.

Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lifennel
Level 1
Level 1

Good day Zoli,

Unfortunately, there aren't any Quickvpn clients available for Linux and Macintosh that work in conjunction with the Small Business/Small Business Pro Routers.

While I share your dismay that we formally do not support the use of Quickvpn with any Linux distribution or any Mac OS, we have seen limited success with workarounds that allow the use of third-party VPN Clients when used in conjunction with our routers.

I am curious as to whether or not you have explored Shrew Soft VPN Client (a simple Google search will yield results). I am currently taking a look and doing a little testing on my end to see if there is anything we can get to work. If you can, please let me know what distribution you are running, what version, and a list of all of the third-party vpn clients you have used.

I personally would love to see the development of a guide that we as support engineers can use to assist our Linux-savvy customer set.

Thanks for your patience!

Hi!

Thank you for your response and sorry for the delayed answer.

My point was that this router is declared as a small business solution. When you say small business you think, little budgets, few computers and as more as free stuff as you can work with. As Windows is not by far the cheapest solution, than you would think that by buying something designed for small business you will get stuff developed at least for some Linux distributions. Mainly, I was disappointed that there was no disclaimer on the product page saying something like ... yes, it has VPN client support but it's only for Windows based PCs.

OK... so leaving the complaints aside, I always try to find a solution. I tried the following VPN clients: openVPN, KVpnc, vpnc and some other two that I don't remember right now but they were command line based and very "un-user" friendly. I tried on Fedora Core 10 and Ubuntu distributions with the same negative results on both of them.

I will try right now Shrew Soft VPN Client as you mentioned and I will post the results over here.

All the best and thank you again for your time!

Zoli

Hi!

I did some testing with Shrew and I was able to raise the tunnel but I was not able to browse the "local network" and not even reach any of the PCs via ping or ssh (on the server).

More than this, Shrew is not intended for VPN Client access but for Client to Gateway VPN. From the starting point this is unreliable as it doesn't use certificates and the whloe security is based on some IP settings and a preshared key.

The conclusion is that maybe with somer tweaking I will be able to get the VPN working via Shrew (I could have done it also with KVpnc which is easyer to install and configure) but it's not my scope. I want to connect via VPN Client Access with certificates and users/passwords security.

I'll search more on this subject.

Have a great day,

Zoli

ibbojjs2tcs
Level 1
Level 1

Any luck anyone? I too am trying to get linux to work with this router. I have been trying for 2 weeks with no luck so far.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: