cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7.x DiRT -> Linux backup server?

MARTIN WEDDLE
Level 1
Level 1

I have a feeling, DiRT doesn't support backups to a Linux based file server as I noticed some of the backup file directories have white space in their names. Anyone know if this supported?

4 Replies 4

sopayne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The help file for DiRT doesn't specify that you cannot back up files to a Linux server, and in general, this should work.

File permissions can be a little tricky going to a Linux file server but if you use the "two hop" backup method this should would fine - do the backup from DiRT to a local drive and then it copies the resulting data to the target file server afterwards.  The problem with remote file systems on Linux is that the process running SQL (where the DB backup is run from) may not have write/create rights on that destination - can be done but it can be a pain - it's usually easier to do the two-hop method and burn a little space locally.

For our customers, we basically build a script leverage SCP (putty pscp to be exact) to push files to an off box Linux host (or Windows host running an OpenSSH variant - like copSSH).  The Linux host is usually providing a storage solution for DRS backups from CUCM.  The process is to have DiRT store the files locally.  Then have a cron/AT job scheduled on the Unity system to run after the DiRT job.  I am sure there is a way to check that the DiRT job is complete, but we basically schedule our job to run two hours after the DiRT job is scheduled to start.

Anyway, the idea is to use a zip or tar packaging tool to take all of the DiRT data and put it into a single file, then use pscp to push the file to the off box location.   You have to play with permissions a little but it works.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

In working with our Linux SAN engineer, we determined the most likely and simple way to do this is via a Linux NFS. Only problem, in Cisco's version of Win2k3 server. The windows component for adding Unix file sharing under Add/Remove programs -> Add/Remove Components -> Other Network File & Print Services. The option to add Unix File services is missing. It appears Cisco has stripped this out as an option. Does anyone know why this was done. I'd like to add and install the component, but want to be sure it won't harm Unity in any way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: