Views
Helpful
Replies

UC-540 with 2 ISPs

bedge
Level 1
Level 1

My customer will have:

ISP 1 for data (30MB) vlan 1 (carrier provided a Cisco 800 and public IP) up and running

ISP 2 for Voice (SIP) vlan 100.

I am looking for the data configuration on FA0/1/0 to send my data traffic to ISP 1 cisco 800.

The WAN port will be utilized for the SIP trunk in a few days.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

Bob,

You would be best fitted with installing an SA520/540 series security appliance. This device has 2 ports that are able to be used as WAN ports. It has a dedicated WAN port and an Optional port. You configure them for load balancing and then do protocol binding to force all RTP and SIP information to use a certain WAN link. The UC540s are not designed to do what you are asking. Will they do it? Most likely. Is it do-able in CLI? Most likely. Is it a supported configuration? NO.

You could use CLI to configure the optional port on the UC540 for a router on the other side of the connection, and then set an IP address on the interface in CLI. There would be much more in the way of configuration to make this actually work, but that would get you started. I must warn you, if you do implement the UC540 in this fashion you WILL NOT be supported when you call the Small Business Support Center. Bottom line, Bob, get a SA5x0 device put in front of this UC540 and we will support it full out, not to mention you will have greater control over the access to your network and better performance from your UC540.

I hope this helps.

Bill

View solution in original post

I don't think you are over-engineering it. It is actually a pretty clever and safe design to go with two WAN connections. Right now we can only support that with an extra device in front of the UC500 though.

Marcos

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

Bob,

You would be best fitted with installing an SA520/540 series security appliance. This device has 2 ports that are able to be used as WAN ports. It has a dedicated WAN port and an Optional port. You configure them for load balancing and then do protocol binding to force all RTP and SIP information to use a certain WAN link. The UC540s are not designed to do what you are asking. Will they do it? Most likely. Is it do-able in CLI? Most likely. Is it a supported configuration? NO.

You could use CLI to configure the optional port on the UC540 for a router on the other side of the connection, and then set an IP address on the interface in CLI. There would be much more in the way of configuration to make this actually work, but that would get you started. I must warn you, if you do implement the UC540 in this fashion you WILL NOT be supported when you call the Small Business Support Center. Bottom line, Bob, get a SA5x0 device put in front of this UC540 and we will support it full out, not to mention you will have greater control over the access to your network and better performance from your UC540.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill -

Thanks for the information; I called a cisco distributor for pre-sale support before providing a bom to the customer. A few small businesses I dealt with perceived the sip as too slow for data , “they get more bandwidth at home from cable, fios etc.” The smb wanted an alternative to SIP for data rates and was willing to pay a 2nd ISP for 30MB / $79.00 month. A Cisco distributor assured me I could use 2 ISPs with a 540, I would have to use the WAN port for the SIP trunk and as long as the data ISP gave me an Ethernet handoff I could use any ethernetport on the UC 540.

Bob,

I am not familiar with what you are saying when you say "you percieved the sip as too slow for data". The WAN interface is a 100Mb interface and is fully capable of supporting the 30Mb connection from the ISP. With that being said, the UC540 already optimizes the traffic with built-in qos features.  Unless you NEED 2 ISPs, I think you may be going overboard with the design. Your phone calls should not experience ANY quality problems, regardless of how many phones you have behind this 540. The reason for that is the afore mentioned built-in qos features. I don't know what your upload speed is, but I'm guessing it is in the 5-10Mb range. That is 5-8 times faster than a T1. You have PLENTY of bandwidth to adequately service all of the users that you have licenses for, so I'm not sure about the necessity of 2 ISPs.

I also did mention this is most likely possible in the Command Line, but it is not a supported configuration by the Small Business Support Center. I sincerely apologize for any misinformation provided to you during your call to presales. If the end-users really have to have 2 service providers, their only supported option will be to install a SA500 infront of this UC500.

Regards,

Bill

I would like to add that we are considering making the dual-WAN connectivity an option in CCA, but nothing is formally committed yet. For now, and as Bill said, you need to deploy a device in front of the UC to do this.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Bill -

Yes the WAN port is 100 MB but the SIP trunk is not, the SIP cost 1.5 Mb/s IP port $479 per month (1year term)  from lowest cost ISP 3.0 Mb/s IP port $958 per month (1year term) and I called 5 SIP providers.... . This is why the customer percieved the SIP trunk as too slow, layer 8, the money layer... Also most ISP's in Long Island NY are offering 30MB  business class for $79.00 per month for data. So, when you see the whole picture, this is why the customer wanted 2 ISP.

ISP 1 for the voice 8 Concurrent Conversations on SIP trunk for $479

ISP 2 30MB business class 30/30MB for data $79.00 per month

Is this over enginered? I just want to make the cut over data...

I don't think you are over-engineering it. It is actually a pretty clever and safe design to go with two WAN connections. Right now we can only support that with an extra device in front of the UC500 though.

Marcos

Marco or (anybody)

Do you have an example of the CLI commands on a UC-540 to get the disered results?

Data VLAN to the ISP provided cisco 800 for 30/30 mb

Voice vlan to the WAN port SIP trunk 1.5mb 8 concurrent calls.

Bill

A great guy named Joe suggested setting up a vlan x with IP address and untrust an FA port in security zone for that port, assign the vlan to the untrusted port, route the data traffic out to that vlan x. Any comments?