cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 sites with ASAs, same public subnet, can they share a virtual IP?

We are planning on bringing up a second site with a public class C, and putting ASAs at each site - at the new site in a failover config, and the previous site as a single unit (not failover or standby).     The new site will be primary, and the previous site will be failover.  We want to have one IP for users to VPN into, regardless of which site is 'up'.  Can ASAs do this?  I've enclosed a pic (public IPs replaced) to clarify.  Any comments or info is greatly appreciated.

Colo-ND.png

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jbiederstedt wrote:

We are planning on bringing up a second site with a public class C, and putting ASAs at each site - at the new site in a failover config, and the previous site as a single unit (not failover or standby).     The new site will be primary, and the previous site will be failover.  We want to have one IP for users to VPN into, regardless of which site is 'up'.  Can ASAs do this?  I've enclosed a pic (public IPs replaced) to clarify.  Any comments or info is greatly appreciated.

John

As far as i know this cannot be done because you can only have 2 firewalls in a failover pair. You cannot use 3 firewalls in the same failover group.

You could run active/standby between the 2 sites as long as you have a L2 link between the sites which it looks like you do but then you would only have one ASA in each location.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card