Cisco SA 520 "Could not read headers"

Unanswered Question
Jan 19th, 2010

We've recently purchased an SA 520 and have problems with a few websites as the Cisco device returns an error: /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

The server is down.

Could not read headers

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The websites in question are all working and worked for us on our previous system. Additionally, this is definitely the SA reporting the error.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Kureli Sankar Tue, 01/19/2010 - 11:29

You see these errors on the browser? Do you know what you see in the syslogs when this problem happens?

Do you have http inspection enabled on the ASA? Do you have CSC module or other websense server scanning the content?

If you can copy and paste the output of

sh module

sh run policy-map

enable logging:

conf t

logging enable

loggin buffered 7

Test the site and collect the log with the following command.

sh logg | i x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the webserver IP that gives the "Could not read headers".

that would help us find out what may be causing the issue.

stettlercounty Tue, 01/19/2010 - 12:48

This error is seen on the browser, formatted the same as the web based administrative controls. As I understand it, the Cisco SA 520 does not have a CLI, or at the very least I've not yet found out how to access it. There is no console port. Could you please provide some guidance here?

Anybody else beside me having this problem? I have three SA520's installed in three different offices, and they are all doing the same thing. If I turn on Protectlink URL filtering, the customer will constantly, but intermittently complain about various website, even sites I have specifically listed in the over-ride list, will generate this error. They get the blue Cisco SA520 page stating either "Could not read headers" or "server is down". If they hit refresh a few times, the page will come up. This is happening with several users at each site. Some on XP, some on Win7. Some IE6, some IE7, some IE8. The only way to have the errors go away is to turn off Protectlink URL filtering, then all works fine. Of coarse, then they are running unprotected.

I have been using Protectlinlk on the RV042 and RV082 at several other customer's sites with great sucess for some time now, but the SA520 obviously has bugs with this. I have had this problem now with both the 1142 and 1165 firmware. I hope to GOD Cisco is able to fix these bugs soon. At this point, I have the Protectlink turned off in the hopes Cisco will release a firmware fix soon.

Come on Cisco, FIX THIS!!!

Hello everyone, This post seems to have dropped off with no resposne from Cisco. We are are also having the issue on version 1.1.42.

We not only get the 'headers' error but also the other errors mentioned above in this post.

I would like to know if there has been any update on this post from Cisco or when they will have an ETA on this.

Turning off Protectlink is not a fix in my opinion and if it is then we shoul dbe refunded for the purchase of protectlink etc.

This Discussion

Related Content