cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Vlan not pinging all switches or firewall.

brandinstitute
Level 1
Level 1

I created a new Vlan in my core switch, from another access switch on the network I programmed an interface port to use that VLAN. From that port I try to ping all my other switches but I can only ping some of them not all. From all other Vlans I can ping everything on the network just fine. Also my default route is the firewall and I cannot ping that either.

I need some advice. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Brandin,

Did you also add the route to the firewall to allow the new subnet?

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Brandin,

Did you also add the route to the firewall to allow the new subnet?

HTH

Reza

Thank you! I just added the routing to the firewall and I'm able to go out to the internet. Anything I should check regarding the other issue with not being able to ping all the switches and routers from this new VLAN... I can do it from all the other ones.

Thanks again.

Javier.

Hello Javier,

Make sure the new IP segment is added to whatever routing protocol you are running (OSPF, ISIS, RIP,etc,,,)

HTH

Reza

blanchard1
Level 4
Level 4

If you create a SVI and assign an IP address the SVI interface will be down down until you create the vlan with a vlan x statement. (x being the VLAN # you created)

You can run a sh ip int br to verify the vlan is up up on the core switch.

Yes, the VLAN is up, I also issued the no shutdown command when I assigned the ip addresses to the VLAN... I also check for Access Lists but there are none created that will deny pinging in the switches that I can't ping.

BTW. I can ping hosts on those switches. Its just the administrative IP on the switch that I can't ping.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card