Views
Helpful
Replies

"Write Net" command on PIX515e

HMidkiff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have a PIX515e.  I am doing some DR testing on a stand-buy unit.  When I issue the "write net" command to restore a backed up config from a TFTP server I keep getting a message that says "Not allowed to overwrite existing files".

Any advice would be helpful.

Harrison Midkiff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HMidkiff wrote:

Hello:

I have a PIX515e.  I am doing some DR testing on a stand-buy unit.  When I issue the "write net" command to restore a backed up config from a TFTP server I keep getting a message that says "Not allowed to overwrite existing files".

Harrison Midkiff

Harrison

"write net" does not restore  a backed up config from a TFTP server, it writes the config to a TFTP server. You error message is to with the TFTP server not the pix ie. the TFTP server does not have the correct permissions to allow you to overwrite the file.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HMidkiff wrote:

Hello:

Harrison Midkiff

Harrison

"write net" does not restore  a backed up config from a TFTP server, it writes the config to a TFTP server. You error message is to with the TFTP server not the pix ie. the TFTP server does not have the correct permissions to allow you to overwrite the file.

Jon

Jon:

Thanks for replying.  That was it.  "Configure net" is what I needed.  Once I read your reply I know where I went wrong.

Thank you again for replying to my post.

Harrison Midkiff

HMidkiff wrote:

Jon:

Thanks for replying.  That was it.  "Configure net" is what I needed.  Once I read your reply I know where I went wrong.

Thank you again for replying to my post.

Harrison Midkiff

Harrison

No problem, glad to have helped.

Jon

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/command/reference/tz.html#wp1027782

The following example specifies the TFTP server and creates a file named new_config in which to store the configuration:

tftp-server 10.1.1.2 /pixfirewall/config/new_config
write net :

A filename you specify to qualify the location of the configuration file on the TFTP server named in server_ip. If you set a filename with the tftp-server command, do not specify it in the write command; instead just use a colon ( : ) without a filename.

Many TFTP servers require the configuration file to be world-writable to
write to it.

Have you tried to use "copy tftp flash:" command?

Give that a shot.

-KS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card