cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 -> internal DNS Server

andrew-matheson
Level 1
Level 1

The RV082 is a great unit, however when VPN clients connect the QuickVPN Client has a setting to use the Remote DNS settings of the RV082. The RV082 has no way of linking or using a user-defined DNS. I have an internal DNS Server that I would like the VPN Clients to query on internal name lookups (kindof the point of having client vpn, so they can access internal network shares etc...)

On the diagnostic page the ping and name resolution can only check external DNS and internal IP's. Wouldn't it make sense to at least make the RV082 aware of internal DNS Servers? Then the Ping and DNS lookup would be able to test both zones?

Is this something that can be looked at by Linksys Developers for this product?

The WRV210 (a cheaper and lower level model) has this functionality.

Thanks,

Andrew.

8 Replies 8

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

The scenario described is supported by RV082. User-defined DNS Servers can be specified at the DHCP>Setup page. Please open a ticket if you have problems making it work correctly.

I am not using the DHCP of the Linksys router.

If the DHCP Server is disabled on the router, the user-defined DNS Server feature is disabled on RV082. I have checked that WRV210 shares the same behavior.

Ok, sorry I didnt check that earlier.

Is there any way to 'push' a DNS Server to the vpn clients? I want both the clients and the linksys rv082 to use my internal dns server.

Feature enhancement?

If you aren't using DHCP, how are all the IP addresses being assigned?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I have an internal DHCP and DNS Server. I am not using the RV082 for this.

One thing that I would recommend is not to set the WAN DNS of the RV to point internally. This could cause an increase in network traffic that is just not needed. Set the RV WAN DNS to either point to your defined "Forwarders" of your DNS server or to OpenDNS servers (your ISP servers would also work). Remember that the router does not need to resolve names, it just needs to know where to find the IP addresses. Since you have an internal DNS server make sure it is defined in the DHCP scope settings of your server and all your clients will use your internal DNS server to resolve names. The only LAN device that should be making DNS queries externally is your DNS server and it alone.

For your VPN clients, if you are using QVPN to connect just make sure you tick the check box "Use remote DNS" (wording may be slightly different). That will allow your external people to resolve names based on your internal DNS server. This can be problematic at times though!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

warren.myhal
Level 1
Level 1

I to am having the same problem.

I have an internal DNS Server with IP address of  xxx.xxx.xxx.2

My rounters ip is xxx.xxx.xxx.1

When I login with quickvpn it adds the dns enter of xxx.xxx.xxx.1 (my router) insted of the dns server.

Even if i manually enter the dns server of xxx.xxx.xxx.2 on the client machine it will still not resolve names.

Using IP address work fine.

Please Help!

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: