Helpful
Replies

delay busy tone for unallocated number

rachelau_2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having the following problem:

When I try to dial an unallocated number from externally, instead of hearing busy tone immediately, it keeps ringing for about 1 minute before it has busy tone.  I have done a debug:

I am using cisco unified communication manager 7 and a voice gateway

debug isdn q931:

VG#de = Circuit
                Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s
        Channel ID i = 0xA18392
                Preferred, Channel 18
        Progress Ind i = 0x8281 - Call not end-to-end ISDN, may have in-band info 
        Signal i = 0x40 - Alerting on - pattern 0 
        Calling Party Number i = 0x0083, '96224716'
                Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown
        Called Party Number i = 0x80, '1701'
017970: Jan 21 2010 11:37:46.184 GMT: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> CALL_PROC pd = 8  callref = 0x805C
        Channel ID i = 0xA98392
                Exclusive, Channel 18
017971: Jan 21 2010 11:37:46.208 GMT: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> ALERTING pd = 8  callref = 0x805C
        Progress Ind i = 0x8188 - In-band info or appropriate now available
VG#
VG#
VG#
VG#
018023: Jan 21 2010 11:38:46.249 GMT: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> DISCONNECT pd = 8  callref = 0x805C
        Cause i = 0x8081 - Unallocated/unassigned number

config for the voice dial peer:

dial-peer voice 1001 voip
preference 1
destination-pattern ....
progress_ind setup enable 3
progress_ind alert enable 8
modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw
voice-class codec 9
voice-class h323 1
session target ipv4:10.10.1.1
dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

Any idea how to fix this problem so that I can hear busy tone for all the unassigned/unallocated number?

Thanks

Kind regards,
Rachel

12 Replies 12

Plz give some more details

Like it is a incoming call from external number

Is your cucm ip is same as mentioned in dial peer

Your voip number range etc.

Thanks

Hi,

The problem is when someone called from externally to one of those unallocated number ( i.e. the number is not set up in the cisco communication manager 7). normally it should be busy tone , but for my case it ring 1 minute before it has busy tone.

But if I call only the extension internally e.g. just dial from one IP phone to another IP phone internally with the 4 digits extension, it ring busy tone straight away for unallocated number

so the problem only happen for incoming calls

the cucm ip is correct, it works for all the number which is allocated in call manager, so the incoming and outgoing calls are working fine . except the unallocated number didnt have busy tone ( or should say have busy tone after ringing for 1 minute)

any idea?

Thanks

Kind regarsd

Rachel

pmarques
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rachel,

Under your incoming POTS dial-peer try issueing the following command:

direct-inward-dial

HTH,

Pedro

Hi,

I already have director-inward-dial in the pots:

dial-peer voice 1 pots
tone ringback alert-no-PI
preference 1
destination-pattern 9T
progress_ind setup enable 3
progress_ind alert enable 8
progress_ind progress enable 8
progress_ind connect enable 8
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0:23

The problem is when someone called from externally to one of those unallocated number ( i.e. the number is not set up in the cisco communication manager 7). normally it should be busy tone , but for my case it ring 1 minute before it has busy tone.

But if I call only the extension internally e.g. just dial from one IP phone to another IP phone internally with the 4 digits extension, it ring busy tone straight away for unallocated number

so the problem only happen for incoming calls

any idea?

Thanks

Kind regarsd

Rachel

Rachel,

I believe the Ringback you are hearing is what is happening  from the time the ALERTING message being sent back to the PSTN and the DISCONNECT

If you look at the debug isdn q931 message you send an alerting message at 11:37:46.208 and then a disconnect message 1 minute later at 11:38:46.249, it makes me wonder if there is something causing a delay in your dialplan from which the system has to search through to match a pattern or there is a delay in communication between callmanager and the voice gateway (although if the latter were to be the case I would expect other problems to also be occuring)

I noticed that you have the dialpeer destination-pattern as .... would it be possible to make it something more specific like 1...

Also I would check the calling search space in the callmanager assigned to the gateway and verify that there is not a wildcard pattern that could possibly match that pattern but is a different length (like 5 digits or greater).  I would create a customer CSS that only has a partition with the extensions in it.

VG#de = Circuit
        Channel ID i = 0xA18392
                Preferred, Channel 18
        Progress Ind i = 0x8281 - Call not end-to-end ISDN, may have in-band info 
        Signal i = 0x40 - Alerting on - pattern 0 
        Calling Party Number i = 0x0083, '96224716'
        Called Party Number i = 0x80, '1701'
017970: Jan 21 2010 11:37:46.184 GMT: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> CALL_PROC pd = 8  callref = 0x805C
        Channel ID i = 0xA98392
                Exclusive, Channel 18
017971: Jan 21 2010 11:37:46.208 GMT: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> ALERTING pd = 8  callref = 0x805C
VG#
VG#
VG#
VG#
018023: Jan 21 2010 11:38:46.249 GMT: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> DISCONNECT pd = 8  callref = 0x805C

Hi Jose,

For the destination pattern:

Since we are using a large number range extension begins with 2XXX , 1XXX and 3XXX .. , we are using 4 T1.  So I put the destination pattern .... instead of creating many dial peer to match each one.

dialpeer destination-pattern as ....

The CSS that is assigned on the gateway only allows to have the partition with the extensions only, so there is no wild card.

any idea?

Thanks heaps

kind regards

Rachel

We could use a pattern like [1-5]...  which would match only numbers starting with 1 through 5.

Regardless we need to look at what else could be going on.

Can you try a test with a phone, Set the line css to the same as you have on the gateway and the device css to blank, at this point try calling an extension like 1701, to see how long it takes to call it I want to see if you get fast busy right away or does it try to do something else?

Also have you tried running the Dial Plan Number Analyzer to see what it shows as matching?

Do u remember how u resolved this issue, am facing the same issue

Hi,

I am experiencing the same strange behavior with H.323 signaling protocol between an IOS voice gateway (2811 - IOS 12.4(20)T3) and my CUCM 6.1.3.

The difference is that the timer is not 1 min but 9 seconds between the ALERTING and the DISCONNECT messages.

Because I am using MGCP as signaling protocol for the majority of my deployments, I rarely seen this strange behavior. Indeed, with MGCP, when the called number is not existing in CUCM, the caller receives instantly the "unallocated number" message. But with recent IOS versions, using H.323, I noticed that the DISCONNECT message takes time before been sent to the telco.

To reproduce it, it is very easy. I created a custom empty CSS and applied it on my H.323 gateway. When the GW receives an incoming call from the E1 line, this is what I get:

Feb 12 16:50:35.105: ISDN Se0/0:15 Q931: RX <- SETUP pd = 8  callref = 0x0084
        Sending Complete
        Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A3
                Standard = CCITT
                Transfer Capability = Speech 
                Transfer Mode = Circuit
        Channel ID i = 0xA98387
                Exclusive, Channel 7
        Calling Party Number i = 0x0080, '123456789'
        Called Party Number i = 0x81, '8'
                Plan:ISDN, Type:Unknown
Feb 12 16:50:35.173: ISDN Se0/0:15 Q931: TX -> CALL_PROC pd = 8  callref = 0x8084
        Channel ID i = 0xA98387
                Exclusive, Channel 7
Feb 12 16:50:35.305: ISDN Se0/0:15 Q931: TX -> ALERTING pd = 8  callref = 0x8084
Feb 12 16:50:44.685: ISDN Se0/0:15 Q931: TX -> DISCONNECT pd = 8  callref = 0x8084
Feb 12 16:50:44.745: ISDN Se0/0:15 Q931: RX <- RELEASE pd = 8  callref = 0x0084

Trust me, the CSS of GW is empty so there is no wildcard or ambiguous pattern.

Can someone try this?

With MGCP it is instantly DISCONNECTED, on the same CUCM cluster, meaning same configuration.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yorick

Hello:

Does anyone know, how to make a message play "The number is not allocated yet", when an external call comes from an MGCP gateway to CUCM 7, and number is not assigned to any device?

Regards,

Learnbydoingit

You could set up a default digit pattern which redirects to a voicemail application.  If you have Unity or Unity Connection, then you could use a call handler.  A rough sketch of the idea:

Assume you have the following DNs:

2025551000/PhonesPT

2025551001/PhonesPT

2025551010/PhonesPT

2025551999/PhonesPT

You could create a default digit pattern: 2025551xxx to route calls to a call handler that come into your Cisco voice environment from an external (or even internal) source.  My preferred approach:

Create a translation pattern:

1. pattern 2025551xxx
2. partition:  use something that makes sense in your environment.  I typically wouldn't use the phone partition because that is my preference, but using that would work.
3. translated called party number to some pattern that is (a) not a DID and (b) unique in your system.  You could use a DID but you would be wasting a DID.  For our example assume we translate called party information to 2021091000
4. Use a CSS that makes sense in your environment.  For this pattern, it only needs to see the CTI we are creating below.  But you should ensure that you conform with your existing design standards and give some thought to what you may use this for in the future.

Next:

1. Create a CTI Route Point  (dummy device, not registered to CUCM in anyway)

2. Add a line to the device with DN==2021091000

- Use a partition that makes sense in your environment, the partition should be visible from the CSS you assigned to the translation

- Set the line to call forward all to voicemail

In the voicemail system, create a new call handler.  The call handler could play a specific message that says "sorry the number is unassigned" or something similar.

Call Handler (add new):
Name: UnassignedNumber
Extension: 2021091000
Schedule:  All Days All Hours
Transfer Rule: Send to Greeting
Greeting:
- Record a custom greeting
- disable user input
- Play greeting X number of times
- After Greeting action: send to the call handler GoodBye (basically hang up on the caller)

Using this method, you redirect calls to extensions you haven't signed immediately.  They hear a recording for X number of times, and you politely say goodbye.  When you add a new number on the CUCM system, you don't need to modify this default routing solution because the new number will be more specific than the 2025551xxx translation.  So, it "grows" with you.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: