cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating a UC 520

dhankins1
Level 1
Level 1

In updating a UC 520 to fix a bug in IOS, we have run into a small difficulty.

No matter what we do, the update fails during the CME part of the update. We were able to successfully update IOS but then we get a TFTP error. The error insists that another TFTP server is running. It is not. Ran a netstat -an and verified no open ports or services were running that would give this indication.

A growing consensus here is that the flash memory has a bad sector. We don't really know what the behavior of a UC 520 would be with a bad flash memory so this is speculation but what else could it be?

We have tried downloading the update on 3 different computers 3 different times, and running the update from each separate location with the same result.

Is there a way to use CCA to verify the status of the flash?

Is there some other process within the UC 520 that could be interfering with the update?

We are fully functional right now but I worry when everything is not working perfectly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use CCA's dashboard (under HOME Drawer) to check the % utilization of flash.  If 90% or more, CCA may be blocking the update since it cant fit all the phone loads (part of the CME upgrade).

Use Phone Load Manager to only select the models you desire and also select auto format flash in the upgrade options to allow CCA to make directories on flash.

Steve

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use CCA's dashboard (under HOME Drawer) to check the % utilization of flash.  If 90% or more, CCA may be blocking the update since it cant fit all the phone loads (part of the CME upgrade).

Use Phone Load Manager to only select the models you desire and also select auto format flash in the upgrade options to allow CCA to make directories on flash.

Steve

I have the flash utilization down to 58% by already doing that. Still get the same tftp error during the CME portion of the upgrade. We are a bit wary of playing around with this too much. Lost our entire flash contents Monday and knocked us offline for 4 hours. Needless to say, management is not amused.

Look over this checklist and if still happening, call support (UC520 is TAC)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9779

Thanks for the response. I have attached a text showing a couple of settings that differ from yours. TAC is not a readily available option for us. We purchased our UC 520 through Cisco sales to help us sell the product (we have sold 3 this year) and we do not have a support contract. It is up to us (me) to keep this system running. We had no problem with updates to our flash until this one.

Is there a way to verify the integrity of the flash memory? I am sure the TFTP error we are seeing is related to the UC 520. I am hopeful that it might be something easily repaired like a bad flash. Otherwise, we will just have to live with this until it quits working.

If you can collect the CCA Log for this, I can see if we can have someone look at it.

Had to dig out from Snowpocalypse 2010 before we could get this out to you. Our system seems stable enough although we are missing some phone files. Thanks for looking at it for us.

I hear ya on the snow.  Even in N.C. we got some, but not like the North.

I sent the logs to the CCA team.  But if this is urgent, open a case with SBSC (866-606-1866)

Steve

Just got feedback on the logs:

The log file I see does not have the logs from the time software upgrade is started.

I do not see any menu being launched. All the log file has is up to the launch of CCA.

I think the best thing to do is open a case with SBSC (866-606-1866) and have them walk you through this.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: