802.11b clients stuck in probing state - 802.11g clients okay

Unanswered Question
Jan 21st, 2010

I found a similar thread already on this but it did not helpme.  The original poster said his issue was due to an authentication issue...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/1002319

On my network I am seeing all 802.11b clients stuck in a probing state, however all 802.11n(2.4) and 802.11g clients are connecting just fine...

My public WLAN is open and does not have any authentication on it, so that cannot be the issue.

Also these 802.11b clients have been able to connect to our autonomous network prior to us migrating to the 5508 controller and LWAP's.

Clients are a mixture of model types from Cisco, Intel, and Ambicom.  None of the Amibicom are trying to connect to the Public WLAN.

Network is a mixture of 1242, 1252, and 1142 Autonomous AP's.  The Controller based network is only 1142 LWAP's at this point.

I attached a couple screenshots... if anyone has any suggestions please let me know as I cannot find a solution for this anywhere.

Thanks...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
George Stefanick Fri, 01/22/2010 - 23:06

few things ...

1 --- Only may 1 meg Mandatory just for test purposes and see if they connect. YOU MAY NEED to find one of your 802.11b clients and reboot it ... If they just sit and spin for ever they sometimes lock up.

2 --- Can you do a client debug for one of the 802.11b clients and attach the debug info

debug client <MACADDRESS>

blarkins1 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 07:01

Thanks for the advise.

After a lot of looking into this, I think that the clients "stuck" in probing state are just probing the new LWAP's to see if they should roam or not.

I am currently in the process of migrating from an autonomous network to a LW one, and many of the "stuck" clients have been found on nearby Autonomous AP's.  I have had few complaints from the clients so I don't think there is much of a problem with clients getting on the network.

It is odd that all the probing clients show up as "b" whereas once they connect they are "g", but maybe thats all part of the initial discovery process and association handshake...???

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted January 21, 2010 at 7:15 AM
Stats:
Replies:2 Avg. Rating:
Views:1120 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard