Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy SSO

Mavrick25
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if I'm in the right section..

But, would like to double up on our 7609 Supervisor Engines.

Is there a procedure somewhere on the Cisco Website that can help me prepare for my activity?

or

Is it an acitvity that shouldn't have any impact??

Bacially our core routers have only 1 Supervisor Engine and we need to double up..

Let me know

MAv

11 Replies 11

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paolo,

SSO requires that both supervisors are running the same IOS image.

if you have a spare chassis you can prepare the new supervisors one at a time, loading on each of them the correct IOS image.

you then add  the SSO redundancy commands on the active supervisor and you can insert the prepared new supervisor

see

Router> enable 
Router# configure terminal 
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)# redundancy 
Router(config-red)# mode sso 

Then schedule the insertions in maintanance windows for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Always so helpful and I thank you.

Thanks again for the links as well.

My question was more towards if there is any downtime?

Or

If there it is traffic effecting in any way?

I will be scheduling a maintenance window anyways.. The question was more towards my own person knowledge..

I guess I'll soon find out anyways.

PR

Giuseppe..

My activity went bad..

What about if I don't have a chassis to preconfigure the supervisors??

PR

Hello Mav,

If the IOS is already loaded in the primary then you can copy the IOS from the primary Sup into the standby-Sup using:

Copying Files to the Redundant Supervisor Engine

Enter this command to copy a file to the disk0: device on a redundant supervisor engine:

Router# copy source_device:source_filename slavedisk0:target_filename  

Enter this command to copy a file to the bootflash: device on a redundant supervisor engine:

Router# copy source_device:source_filename slavesup-bootflash:target_filename  

Enter this command to copy a file to the bootflash: device on a redundant RP:

Router# copy source_device:source_filename slavebootflash:target_filename 

HTH
Reza

Thanks for the post,

I forgot to mention in my list that I did that..

Router# copy source_device:source_filename slavedisk0:target_filename
But when I checked the slavedisk0: the file wasn't there..

I do apologize for my ignorance.. but was I supposed to format the external flash first??
I don't know why it didn't copy the image..
When I perfromed a "show slavedisk0:" nothing was there..

Mav

Ok, what IOS are you using?

Are these Sup-720s?

What module of 7600?

Load the IOS in the primary Sup if you don't already have it, then copy it from the primary to the secondary. Then apply the SSO command in the previous post and reboot the switch.  if every thing is configured correctly one of the Sup will be primary and the other one on HOT standy-by mode.

HTH

Reza

Hello Paolo,

I'm sorry the result was bad.

the spare chassis was a suggestion but it shouldn't be a strict need, see Reza's post you should be able to transfer the ios image file into the new supervisor if the two can have a basic communication.

However, the new supervisor needs to have an IOS image on board (until some time ago several sup720 were shipped with catos) and that can talk with the target image.

see this note:

If a newly installed redundant supervisor engine has the Catalyst operating system installed, remove the active supervisor engine and boot the switch with only the redundant supervisor engine installed. Follow the procedures in the current release notes to convert the redundant supervisor engine from the Catalyst operating system.

Just one note: moving the flash from one supervisor to the other looks like to be avoided.

I would suggest to open a SR and to have them provide some feedback.

I agree that a specific document on how to add a supervisor to a device already in production is missing.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paolo,

In addition to Giuseppe's commands to configure it,  here is the config guide for more onfo:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/nsfsso.html

HTH

Reza

Nopes if one is already running, then there wont be any downtime, the second one will just bootup and will move to standby mode, dont forget to set it to SSO mode.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your support.

I'm performing the activity tonight, the active supervior has been configured in SSO mode and should be ready to mirror the supervior config to the standby.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

MAV

Hey,

This is what happen.

The new Supervisor Engines had a flash card insterted in disk0: which was empty.

I couldn't match up the IOS before the Supervisor was shipped because they were shipped from a warehouse that I don't have access to.

So..

1. I inserted the Standby Supervisor.

2. It loaded and the box recognized the Supervisor.

3. It loaded with a different IOS Image, but I noticed some logs telling me that the running config was syncronzied.

4. When I perfromed the "show redundancy" command, I noticed some things that just were not right..

1. IOS were different

2. The boot sequence was off.

5. So, I decided to pull the Standby Out, I took the flash card from the active and put it in the standby and reinserted the standby.

6. The 1st STANDBY never was recognized again.. So, I began to panic... (My first time doing this, bare with me!!!)

7. I had a 2nd Standby near by..

8. I took the flash card that was instered into the ACTIVE and put now on the 2nd Supervisor Engine I had and instered it.

I was getting this:

Jan 28 01:53:55.026 MET: %PFINIT-SP-5-CONFIG_SYNC: Sync'ing the startup configuration to the standby Router.
Jan 28 01:53:59.511 MET: %FABRIC-SP-5-CLEAR_BLOCK: Clear block option is off for the fabric in slot 6.
Jan 28 01:53:59.611 MET: %FABRIC-SP-5-FABRIC_MODULE_BACKUP: The Switch Fabric Module in slot 6 became standby
Jan 28 01:54:00.479 MET: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 6: Running Minimal Diagnostics...
Jan 28 01:54:01.903 MET: %PFREDUN-SP-4-BOOTSTRING_INVALID: The bootfile slavedisk1:xxxxxxxxxxx.bin is not
Jan 28 01:54:02.007 MET: %PFREDUN-SP-4-BOOTSTRING_INVALID: The bootfile slavedisk0:xxxxxxxxxxx.bin is not

Jan 28 01:54:02.371 MET: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 6: Passed Online Diagnostics
Jan 28 01:54:02.559 MET: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 6, interfaces are now online

9. Which means I made a big mistake.

10. Because the Supervisors were being shipped from a location that I don't have access to, it was difficult to preconfigure, I thought I would have been able to do it from remote.

Does anyone have the procedure??

Mav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: