cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP Addressing

cm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys I would like to configure my routers to provide public IP addresses to  clients. eg blocks of addresses eg 6 routable staticpublic IP add for client 1, 30 for the next client. etc I know I have to do point to point (/30) links between clients and Our ISP. I know  I have to use VLSM , but how to apply it to my scenario is the the trick for me.If you can give me example from the client perspective and the CORE ISP router perspective.

Anyone with links for best practises for IP addressing for an ISP. and how to achieve the above and more.

Any information will be useful thanks.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cm@benau.com

Hi guys I would like to configure my routers to provide public IP addresses to  clients. eg blocks of addresses eg 6 routable staticpublic IP add for client 1, 30 for the next client. etc I know I have to do point to point (/30) links between clients and Our ISP. I know  I have to use VLSM , but how to apply it to my scenario is the the trick for me.If you can give me example from the client perspective and the CORE ISP router perspective.

Anyone with links for best practises for IP addressing for an ISP. and how to achieve the above and more.

Any information will be useful thanks.

Not entirely sure what you are asking here. If you understand VLSM then simply subnet down the address range so each client gets the number of addresses they need. Then you will need to make sure from an ISP point of view that the routing is in place so that all traffic for that subnet goes to the client. The client simply uses a default-route pointing back to your managed router or BGP if that is what you are using.

Does that help or were you looking for something else ?

Jon

Hi

Its is pretty quite simple for example you have some 10.10.10.0/24 stack in IP design

for customer 1

Use : 10.10.10.0/30 for your ISP and client ( your end is .1 client end ip is .2)

and use 10.10.10.8/29 for extra IP to ur clients .

and give ip route 10.10.10.8 255.255.255.248 10.10.10.2 ( 10.10.10.2 customer IP Address ) and customer should give default gateway 10.10.10.1 at their end , they can use this 10.10.10.8/29 for their operations

For customer 2

Use : 10.10.10.4 /30 for your ISP and client ( your end IP is .5 and client end is .6)

For customer 3

Use : 10.10.10.16/30 for your ISP and client ( your end .17 and client is .18)

similar way u can provide VLSM along with extra IP address ,

HTH

San

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card