"For 2010, I resolve not to crash every few hours..."
Hi all, I haven't posted in quite a while, but have been watching. The revelations of a new hardware version with the implied admission that V1 is defective, an underwhelming 'new' firmware that only offers slower performance in a trade for stability, and the glacial progress of these discussions have definitely been amusing. But I did want to weigh in with a few observations and repeat some feature requests.
1) RMA old units for V2 units. I have 10. Please be diligent and inform this community ASAP when the V2 units are available, and what procedure to follow to get RMAs processed.
2) Fix broken stuff. I think you might have fixed the 'some SAVE buttons don't survive reboot' problem, can anyone corroborate that?
3) There was a feature request for scheduled reboots in another thread. That's another crappy workaround idea, but how about a watchdog outbound ping that reboots only if the target goes silent? (I'm assuming the ethernet lockup is bidirectional.)
4) I made feature requests in a now ancient thread, I'll repeat my favorites. Add your own if you like.
- Status should be able to list connected clients with MAC and other fun statistics like which SSID/VLAN they are on. Otherwise it's hard to know if I'm interrupting anyone when I need to reboot.
- There should be a Site Survey function.
- True mesh networking! (OK, forget I said that!)
- Get rid of frames in the web GUI. Somehow I always end up stuck in a frame without the controls I need to change to another page. Not to mention the collapsable controls just require more mouse clicks to navigate. Pretty, but a functional step backward.
- Enhanced SYSLOG? How about periodic uptime reports, hourly or configurable? Provide uptime, client stats. If the uptime either reverts to zero or goes missing for a long time, my Splunk server could recognize that as a hang.
Here's hoping the WAP4410N can do in 2010 what it certainly failed to do in 2009!