cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

port-channel

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! if i;m connecting 1 edge switch to 2 core switches. (2 trunk links, 1 link to each core), how do i configure the etherchannel at the core side? can the same channel id used across the core switches? what's the configuration be like at the core side?

thx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to your description there would be no etherchannel because you are saying 1 link to each core .  You would have a simple trunk to each core .  In order to etherchannel you would have to have 2 links to each core.  Just a create a simple trunk on each end.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

dkblee@hotmail.com

hi! if i;m connecting 1 edge switch to 2 core switches. (2 trunk links, 1 link to each core), how do i configure the etherchannel at the core side? can the same channel id used across the core switches? what's the configuration be like at the core side?

thx

Channel id is local to the switch so you can use the same channel-id on both core switches.,

Jon

hi! does that mean the grouping is only at the edge switch end and not the core switch? If the id is local to the core, so there isn't any need to do grouping at the core sw end? thx.

Hi,

Check out the below link on etherchannel configuration on switches, hope to help !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1043287

If helpful do rate the valaubale post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

krishnakumarr
Level 1
Level 1

hi

Pl find sample port channel config for both end cisco switches

core swith 1
====================
interface Port-channel1
  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
no shut

interface fastEthernet1/1
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active
no shut

interface fastEthernet1/2
switchport mode trunk
no shut

!

core switch 2
==============
interface Port-channel1

switchport mode trunk
no shut

interface fastethernet 1/1
switchport mode trunk
no shut

interface fastEthernet1/2
switchport mode trunk
no shut

!

other switches

Use LACP mode

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to your description there would be no etherchannel because you are saying 1 link to each core .  You would have a simple trunk to each core .  In order to etherchannel you would have to have 2 links to each core.  Just a create a simple trunk on each end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco