Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Internet port speed

joebudris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just upgraded my business internet speed to a 10MB download 2MB upload but the download speed Maxes out at 2MB.  My internet provider says to replace the RV042.

Anybody have this kind of experience?

Thanks,

Joe B.

4 Replies 4

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I would first make sure that you have the latest firmware ! Second i can tell you this, the wan port is like every other Ethernet port, it's going to negotiate at 10/100 speeds. You want to plug directly into your modem and test the connection with your pc, i would download the same file. It will be faster seeing that you don't have Stateful packet inspection or a firewall to go though but should be 1 to 2mb depending on network traffic loads. I had the same problem and it turn out to be with the modem.Speeds being that low could mean that the port could be going bad but with you doing a upgrade and now it's only running at 2Mb,usually the problem lies with what has changed but these test will verify.  i would check port speed by running a SNMP service and this will let you know what speed the WAN port is negotiating at !  Again just run those test's - Try plugging your pc directly into the modem and see what speed you negotiate at and what speed you can download at.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I think you're right on here.  After going back and forth with my provider, I downloaded the latest firmware and updated the RV042. No change whatsoever.  So... I plugged my laptop directly into the cable modem, waited for an address and low and behold the same slow speed.  I called my ISP back and they determined that I must have a defective modem.  They’re coming out today to replace it.

What I take away from all of this is that finger pointing is alive and well.  The installer was perfectly happy to blame my network and get out of Dodge with the statement "... call tech support after you replace the router if you still have problems."

But I digress..  Thanks for your response and suggestions.

Joe B.

Just to add, this is a very good test by connecting directly.  You may also discover like I did that your rv082 may be the issue.  I haven't replaced mine as its outside of warranty and routes fine, just not as fast.    

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Just wanted to provide what the RV042 uses in terms of CPU. Flash and state it can go alot faster (throughput in datasheet).

CPU

Intel   IXP425 266MHz

FLASH

8MB

DRAM

32MB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: