Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linkysys RV042 QuickVPN to router issues

Hi

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated as I have been stuck on this for acouple of days now, this is my first time posting to a forum... I have setup VPN connections before but only through packages such as openswan & openvpn not through such a device.

My VPN router is connected directly to an ADSL modem, directly behind the RV042 I have placed my test machine on port 1 both Wan1 & port 1 show as Gree (active).

Modem...
DHCP enabled

local IP: 10.1.1.1

The VPN has...

Wan1: 10.1.1.2

Lan1: 10.222.43.1

Test machine...

IP address: 10.222.43.100

I have been given two Linksys RV042 devices to setup as VPN end point/connections from one LAN to another.

However before I do this I have been testing the setup of a test machine (Laptop Windows 7 professional & also tried XP professional with exactly the same results) to the VPN router device.I have configured the router with the basic setup as described in the step-by-step guide / pdf and setup a test user & one tunnel I have left every thing as default and only changed what is necessary.

I have generated a certificate for the server and distributed a client certificate to my client machine and installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Linksys\Linksys VPN Client\" directory (as I understand I can simply download to this location and its installed for the client).

The above is a run down of the steps listed in the setup guide provided on the CD, every time I try to connect to the server I get the following error message.

Failed to establish a connection.

This could be caused by one of the following:

1. Incorrect password.

2. No valid IP for the network card.

3. Incorrect server address.

4. You may need to disable your Windows firewall.

5. Local IP address conflicts with the subnet of remote VPN server.

1. I know my password is correct

2. I am not sure what "No valid IP for the network card" means though I am able to get access to the internet through the modem on my test laptop and have access to the web interface of the RV042 so I assume that my IP is valid?

3. I know the server address is correct I have tried both internal address of the RV042 and the wan1 address of the RV042

4. I get exactly the same error message whether the firewall is turned on or off on either of the XP or 7 machines.

5. This is the one that I am confused about, there are no machines connected so I am unsure how there could be a conflict. however just to make sure I have changed the IP of the laptop to one outside of the range allocated to the tunnel, and I still get the same error message.

I have checked the log file of the server "system log" and this is what I get it appears that the server actually accepts the connection from what I can make of this series of messages.

Jan 22 10:32:04 2010         Connection Accepted         TCP 10.222.43.100:3374->209.46.39.47:443 on ixp1

Jan 22 10:32:32 2010        Connection Accepted        ICMP type 8 code 0 10.1.1.2->10.1.1.1 on ixp1

Jan 22 10:33:44 2010         Authentication Success         HTTP Basic authentication succeeded for user: test

The log file on the local machine however shows that there is an error though it just says "Failed to connect" so  I am very confused about where the issue lies.

2010/01/22 11:46:13 [STATUS]OS Version: Windows XP

2010/01/22 11:46:13 [STATUS]Windows Firewall is OFF

2010/01/22 11:46:13 [STATUS]One network interface detected with IP address 10.222.43.100

2010/01/22 11:46:13 [STATUS]Connecting...

2010/01/22 11:46:13 [STATUS]Connecting to remote gateway with IP address: 10.1.1.2

2010/01/22 11:46:14 [STATUS]Remote gateway was reached by https ...

2010/01/22 11:46:14 [STATUS]Remote gateway was reached by https ...

2010/01/22 11:46:14 [WARNING]Failed to connect!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help provided.

JC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Since your objective here is to do a LAN to LAN VPN, I wouldn't bother messing with the software VPN client to test the router.  VPN configuration can be pretty shakey on the rv series, and I recommend you don't play with the options, just keep it basic.

Set up each LAN to be on a separate subnet.  Ie, one is on 192.168.1.x, the other on 192.168.2.x.  Under the VPN tab, set up the gateway to gateway vpn accounts for both routers.  Test the connection in the router admin screens.  Check the connection with pings to systems on each side of the lan.  Then try to use the files/applications you plan to use and see if that works.  If so, then success!  If not, check the various options under the account for each gateway.  These options can make or break the vpn connection.  Good luck.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Since your objective here is to do a LAN to LAN VPN, I wouldn't bother messing with the software VPN client to test the router.  VPN configuration can be pretty shakey on the rv series, and I recommend you don't play with the options, just keep it basic.

Set up each LAN to be on a separate subnet.  Ie, one is on 192.168.1.x, the other on 192.168.2.x.  Under the VPN tab, set up the gateway to gateway vpn accounts for both routers.  Test the connection in the router admin screens.  Check the connection with pings to systems on each side of the lan.  Then try to use the files/applications you plan to use and see if that works.  If so, then success!  If not, check the various options under the account for each gateway.  These options can make or break the vpn connection.  Good luck.

Hi SamirDarji

Thank you for your reply to my post. This mostly gives me a solution to work with, however I have now been faced with another issue. I am now supposed to synchronize with a ADSL modem / router / vpn / firewall in another location for which is a different brand. From what I can see is that I have the same settings available on both RV042 and the other device. My question is... now I have setup all vpn devices, I am confused about how to connect / test the devices. The two RV042 devices have a test connection button under vpn summary for the tunnel but neither of them appear to connect (it just cycles through and never connects). Initially I thought that the devices may not be able to see each other as the two RV042 devices are behind a firewall / modem however i have put the vpn RV042 routers on the dmz of the test networks behind their gateway modems. The ADSL modem / router / vpn / firewall device on the live network is the gateway as well, this device has the firewall disabled (the firewall job is passed down the chain to a few special purpose firewall devices before the core switches) would this affect the vpn?

thanks again

JC

I know this reply is a few years late, but I didn't get a notification of your reply.

The biggest problem you'll run across with the generation of rv042 you probably have is that they can't do NAT Traversal.  Without that, you need to make sure that both rv042s are directly connected.  I'd disable the ADSL modem/router/vpn and put it in bridge mode and then allow the rv042 to handle the PPPoe login for DSL as well as the routing.  This should solve your problem.

I have put Linksys ADSL modem in front of RV042 and I am using dyndns the RV042 IS successfully get public IP from ISP and dyndns is updated the successfully but I can't surfing internet . I have tried to change the gateway to be the RV042 and it is not working what is problem please Samir can u reply to this plz??

If you are getting the public IP, try pinging the default gateway of the public IP.  If you can't ping that, you're still not connected for some reason.

Is the rv042 handling the PPPoe for the ADSL?

Samir i have solve this issue , and i am surfing the internet but  i face new problem PPTP server i have make it  but not working

i have but range of 5 addressed but i am not able to inter VPN from Windows 7

what the purpose cause of this problem ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: