Helpful
Replies

Duplex Mismatch between Cisco 2960 (LANBase Image) and Cisco 6506 Switch

edwardwaithaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following issue;

I am getting a duplex mismatch between a Cisco 2960 TT-L Switch running IOS 12.2(35) LAN Base Image (Gig0/1) and a Cisco 6506 Switch running IOS 12.2(33)SXH Adv IP Services (Gig2/19).

I have tried several combinations of the duplex/speed settings on both sides but the only that works is setting duplex/speed AUTO on the Cisco 2960 which ends up autonegotiating to HALF duplex and 100Mbps.

What cou;d be the issue? IOS bugs?

Regards,

Edd.

9 Replies 9

arianto.wibowo
Level 1
Level 1

is it using UTP cable ?

please try to replace with another cable.

edwardwaithaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have upgraded the Cisco 2960 Switch to version 12.2(52). The interfaces are now at FULL duplex but cannot negotiate to 1000Mbps.

zvondovec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you put here results of sh run int ... commands?

thnx

Hi,

Ports are on default;

-------

int gig0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan zzz

duplex auto

speed auto

--------

int gig2/18

no switchport

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

no speed

no duplex

Hi,

Is there only cable between those 2 boxes, or is there some convertor (fiber optic)?

Also you can try speed nonegotiate command on both sides.

bye

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

i am pretty sure i saw a similar bug.

Varun

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On both, try the following interface command "speed auto 1000".

It is generally advised you use auto on both sides for gigabit. If they are not negotiating gig then I would take a serious look at the cabling . Unlike fastether which takes 2 pairs you must have 8 good wires in the entire path between the 2 devices  in order to negotiate gig as gig uses all 8 wires to achieve gig speeds . Even 1 bad wire out of the 8  it will not negotiate gig .  Make sure speed negotation is actually turned on for the 6500. you can check this with the following counterintuitive  command   

no speed nonegotiate .  Verify with the command 
show interfaces GigabitEthernet slot/port transceiver properties

Good info for explaining the different states for gig port settings.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1020621

On the 2960 switch the "dual purpose" uplinks need to be manually configured with "media-type" to be able to set speed/duplex. Default would not allow setting these 2 attributes.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

media-type rj45

speed 100

duplex full

end

GigabitEthernet0/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is

Description: Uplink to Cat01

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swint.html#wp2219831

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card