cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

critical poller in CM

ROMAN TOMASEK
Level 1
Level 1

Can I remove devices from Critical poller?? In the Topology View is only "Add to critical poller".

Thank you

Roman

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you should be able to remove them under

Campus Manager > Administration > Data Collection > Device Poller

select the option button for "Critical Devices", then click "Show Devices";

you should get a list with the appropriate devices; choose any of the devices and click "Delete" to remove it from this list

View solution in original post

The two pollers are mutually exclusive.  That is, if you enable the critical devices poller, only those critical devices will be polled.  If, however, you enable the All Devices poller, then all devices will be polled.

I do not know in which way these values are bound together but according to the online help the critical devices poller can consume a lot of bandwith:

http://your-lms-servers:1741/help/CMcore/CmHelp/index.html?Admin_DevicePoller_Proc.html#wp1240391

Thus it is recommended not to add more then 30 devices to this list.
You should carefully consider if you use the topology map for fault management. If this could be a solution depends on your hardware and the number of devices you manage - and also which LMS applications are installed on this server.
Originally Topology services were designed for documentation purpos and not for fault management. These function were added later due to user requests...

Probably the way it works is some sort of prevent the system from being overwhelmed

I think what you want is not possible, a solution could be to just set all device to a polling cycle of 60s;but be careful that it really completes before it has to start again...

4 Replies 4

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you should be able to remove them under

Campus Manager > Administration > Data Collection > Device Poller

select the option button for "Critical Devices", then click "Show Devices";

you should get a list with the appropriate devices; choose any of the devices and click "Delete" to remove it from this list

Thank you very much. I have the last question about the poller. When I tried to set polling for critical devices (30s) and for all devices (1 minut) - it is not possible. When I set polling for critical poller - 30 s, the polling for all devices is automatically set to 2 hours. When I tried to change polling for all devices into 1 minute, the critical poller is automatically set into 5 minutes:-( Is possible to set both poller for my values (30s for critical poller and 60s for all devices)???

The two pollers are mutually exclusive.  That is, if you enable the critical devices poller, only those critical devices will be polled.  If, however, you enable the All Devices poller, then all devices will be polled.

I do not know in which way these values are bound together but according to the online help the critical devices poller can consume a lot of bandwith:

http://your-lms-servers:1741/help/CMcore/CmHelp/index.html?Admin_DevicePoller_Proc.html#wp1240391

Thus it is recommended not to add more then 30 devices to this list.
You should carefully consider if you use the topology map for fault management. If this could be a solution depends on your hardware and the number of devices you manage - and also which LMS applications are installed on this server.
Originally Topology services were designed for documentation purpos and not for fault management. These function were added later due to user requests...

Probably the way it works is some sort of prevent the system from being overwhelmed

I think what you want is not possible, a solution could be to just set all device to a polling cycle of 60s;but be careful that it really completes before it has to start again...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: