Views
Helpful
Replies

Instant Messaging between CUPs in different Sub-Domains

eesch
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert

We have a customer who has many locations internationally, and one main domain, like "customer.com". But they are using sub-domains, like germany.customer.com, austria.customer.com.

We have deployed two presence servers, and more are to come. These servers are in different sub-domains, with the consequence that you have to configure federations between then and, thus, cannot add buddies by an LDAP search, which is too cumbersome for most users.The have to add the buddies by hand.

The solution we are looking at is to add a sub-domain just for these servers, like presence.customer.com, and if all the presence servers are in this sub-domain, federations are no more needed.

Is such a design feasible? Do you see pitfalls or possible problems in the future?

And if this is a good idea, should we just add all the UC-Servers to this sub-domain (e.g. CUCM, Meetingplace, Unity, Unity Connection)?

Thanks for your consideration,

Ernst Esch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So you are saying, if all the users where in one AD, then they search the LDAP directories and add buddies in?

Can you simply add the root domain to the search base?   If the AD users in CUPS that searchs the directory has access to each of the sub domains, it should be able to "fetch" anything in the sub domains. (searches etc)

Michael may have some more info for you also. (in the forum here)

But I like the idea also of the Presence domain....

Federation is really only when you have multiple CUCM clusters.  They will then relay presence status, etc between the CUPS servers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So you are saying, if all the users where in one AD, then they search the LDAP directories and add buddies in?

Can you simply add the root domain to the search base?   If the AD users in CUPS that searchs the directory has access to each of the sub domains, it should be able to "fetch" anything in the sub domains. (searches etc)

Michael may have some more info for you also. (in the forum here)

But I like the idea also of the Presence domain....

Federation is really only when you have multiple CUCM clusters.  They will then relay presence status, etc between the CUPS servers.

I had gone over possibilities with PDI, too, and they say there is no workaround - once you are in different federations, you cannot import a buddy by LDAP search, which is cumbersome.

On the other hand, customer has one big AD which covers ALL the users, even if they are in different sub-domains.So, to the customer it is not plausible that their users would have to import buddies by hand.

The decision will be made, I believe, to create that sub-domain for all the presence servers / clusters.

It is also forseeable that presence servers would be the only UC components to be added to this sub-domain. CUàCMs and Unity/UC would stay in the local subdomain.

From the viewpoint of your expertise and experience, are there any points that should be brought up, or any reservations on choosing such an approach?

Thanks and regards,

Ernst

lpratt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You mention multiple clusters and more to come.  Each Unified Presence cluster has a 1:1 mapping to a Unified CM cluster.  You can multiple clusters within a single domain and setup intercluster peers to communicate between each Unified Presence cluster.  If you use multiple domains or sub-domains then you will have to configure inter-domain federation between the Unified Presence clusters.

The Unified Presence deployments are cover in the UC SRND here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/presence.html#wp1084488

Louis

Thanks, this is information I already had - I have looked at the SRND.

We just want to make as sure as possible that this design approach won't get us into the soup later in the rollout, if there are interrelations between Presence, CUCM, Unit/UC, MeetingPlace Express and other components.

I want to be able to thell the customer with the highest possible certainty to go ahead and put Presence Servers into their own sub-domain, and leave all the other UC components in their local sub-domains.

Regards, Ernst

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: