cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP server switch failure

ehinkle27
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 switches in a network and the server that is operating as the VTP server has failed, but all the other clients still have my vtp information, when I replace the switch, how do I get my VTP information back on the new switch to get the vlan information? Can I convert one of the clients to a server and they keep the information?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ehinkle27@hotmail.com

I have 4 switches in a network and the server that is operating as the VTP server has failed, but all the other clients still have my vtp information, when I replace the switch, how do I get my VTP information back on the new switch to get the vlan information? Can I convert one of the clients to a server and they keep the information?

Yes, convert one of the clients to be a server.

The new switch, make sure it has a revision number of 0 ie. set it to vtp transparent and change it back to vtp client before you put it on the network.

For future reference you can have more than one switch as a VTP server so if one fails you still have one. If you do have 2 VTP servers it doesn't matter which one you update the vlan information on, it will still get sent to the other VTP server and the clients.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

yes convert one vtp client to server

Later you can connect the new switch as a server and it will learn the VTP Vlan database.

Before connecting new switch verify on the new switch that:

the vtp domain name is the same as the one used in your network

the revision number is 0

and in the future it is better to have two VTP servers in your network.

A VTP server is still a device that accepts VTP advertisements from other devices

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I'm pretty sure you don't have to even convert a client to a server if you didn't want  to. I believe as long as the vtp revision number is lower on the new switch  it will get updated even by a client .   That was always one of things to be very careful of where even a client  with a higher revision could  overwrite a server if you stuck one in the network with higher vtp revision number . i think it would update without changing anything , can't say I have tried in a lab but i certainly remember a number of years ago where a client overwrote a server .  One of those learning experiences and mistakes that you never make again. 

ehinkle27
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks,

that helped I just changed the client from a client to the server and added the new switch as a server and they updated, so now I have two servers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: