PVC2300 and SWVMS16 License Q:

Unanswered Question

Greetings - I need to procure 5-6 PVC2300 and WVC210 cameras. I believe I understand that the SWVMS16 software comes with each of these, but can I direct all 6 of the cameras at the same instance of the software without additional costs (except hardware of course)? So for example, if I budget $300 per camera (just picking a number of Google), and the hardware and operating system to support the SWVMS16, is there any additional licensing costs per camera?

Thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mpyhala Fri, 01/22/2010 - 17:53
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

There any additional licensing costs per camera. The software can control and record up to 16 cameras simultaneously and can be installed on multiple PC's for remote management of the cameras if needed.

alissitz Fri, 01/22/2010 - 17:54
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hello and good evening,

No additional costs of licenses ...

The software will let you view each camera (up to 16) from a single application instance.  HTH,

Andrew

alissitz Fri, 01/22/2010 - 18:03
User Badges:

PS ... 6 cameras on a single workstation will be quite taxing on the CPU.

Will this PC be used for anything additional?  If so, I would suggest testing it out first before deploying.  HTH,

Andrew

It won't be used for real time monitoring, but just recording and playback when needed. Our PCI requirement is to store 90-days of activity and I was planning on using the motion sensing components to keep the storage to a minimum. I will likely break it into two "dvr" components in two separate facilities if we discover bandwidth to be an issue.

To your other comment about running as a service, I'm sure I could work some magic with an automatic login and application startup. Ideally I would like it to start and run as a system service so that there is no need to log in to the console (automated or otherwise), start the application and lock the screen. I gather the GUI needs to be running in order for the recording features to operate?

Which brings up another question. I noticed the installer (I just downloaded it, I don't have cams yet) has a console and playback option. If I install just the playback, does that connect to another console to retrieve historical video? Can I record in one instance of the software and playback in another?

Steven DiStefano Sat, 01/23/2010 - 06:22
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more
  • The GUI does need to be running and started to record video on the disk partition defined in SWVMS16 (doesnt have to be the local PC HDD).  The GUI has a setiup preferences area where you can define its startup behavior in case it reboots.  his includes starting the recording (either continuous or motion detection.
  • Multipe instances of SWVMS16 can monitor the same cameras simultaneously, each operating independently, but to have just one data save area, which Playback reads from may not be possible.   While you can try to save into a general area (like an NSS CIFS file store) and read from it from the other playback console, I am almost sure that the SWVMS16 has to 'create' an index for each camera for playback, based on the Recording setup.  SO if there is no camera defined, I am not sure the playback will know what to look for?   If you try this, let us know the outcome.
  • The raw data is saved in a proprietary format so you will need the playback to see it &  convert it to standard format (using CUE in and CUE out on the playback GUI and SAVE Video, or just save snapshot on the playback) is you want to send it to someone.
  • Some demo webcasts to help....
  • Demonstration Webcasts:
alissitz Fri, 01/22/2010 - 18:06
User Badges:

Humm ... not sure.  I normally start mine and forget about it.

To be sure I understand your question, are you asking if this has to run under a user's account?  If so, my application runs under my username.  Is this what you are asking?

Andrew

Actions

This Discussion