CISCO 2800 router crashed after factory default

Answered Question
Jan 23rd, 2010

Hello!

I tried to reset the router, CISCO 2800 router  factory default > I used this instructions>

Method 1

This method uses the config-register 0x2102 command in global configuration mode.

1. Check the configuration register on the router by issuing the             show version command. The configuration register             setting is displayed in the last line of the show             version command output, and should be set to 0x2102. If this is             not the case, enter the config-register 0x2102 command once in global configuration mode.

router# configure terminal
    router(config)# config-register 0x2102
    router(config)# end
    router#

If the show version command is issued             again, the same line in the command output will have '(will be 0x2102             at next reload)' appended to the current register             setting.

2. Erase the current start-up configuration on the router with the             write erase command.

3. Reload the router with the reload command. When prompted to save the configuration, DO NOT save.

router#reload
    System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: n
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]
  4. Once the router reloads, the user will be presented with a 'System             Configuration Dialog' as shown below. The router is now reset back to the             original factory defaults.

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

After that the router reloaded.. I tried to put it initial IP in my PC 10.10.10.2
nothing happens.. i cannot access the page of router: 10.10.10.1 , the ping is not going too.. please

help me whhat should I do to get it work =((((

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 6 years 10 months ago

slash281990 wrote:

So, I have to connect through the console? com port?
Ctrl-C is this in terminal?

Peter beat me to it

Yes you need to connect via the console port on the router using the com port on your laptop and Ctrl-C is sent from the laptop to the router. You will need to run a terminal emulator on your laptop such as hyperterminal or teraterm Pro.

Jon

Correct Answer by Peter Paluch about 6 years 10 months ago

Hello Sorin,

Correctly, you will have to connect to the router using a console cable (the blue flat one that came with your router) and a COM port. You will need to run the HyperTerminal or the recent PuTTY to use the COM port to talk to the router. The COM port settings are 9600 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Do not expect the router to say anything to you after you connect to it via console - you must start by hitting Enter a few times. The Ctrl-C shall be then used to cancel the System Configuration Dialog in the terminal.

According to you previous post, I thought you are already connected to the console.

Best regards,

Peter

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Jon Marshall Sat, 01/23/2010 - 04:52

slash281990 wrote:

Hello!

I tried to reset the router, CISCO 2800 router  factory default > I used this instructions>

Method 1

This method uses the config-register 0x2102 command in global configuration mode.

1. Check the configuration register on the router by issuing the             show version command. The configuration register             setting is displayed in the last line of the show             version command output, and should be set to 0x2102. If this is             not the case, enter the config-register 0x2102 command once in global configuration mode.

router# configure terminal
    router(config)# config-register 0x2102
    router(config)# end
    router#

If the show version command is issued             again, the same line in the command output will have '(will be 0x2102             at next reload)' appended to the current register             setting.

2. Erase the current start-up configuration on the router with the             write erase command.

3. Reload the router with the reload command. When prompted to save the configuration, DO NOT save.

router#reload
    System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: n
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]
  4. Once the router reloads, the user will be presented with a 'System             Configuration Dialog' as shown below. The router is now reset back to the             original factory defaults.

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

After that the router reloaded.. I tried to put it initial IP in my PC 10.10.10.2
nothing happens.. i cannot access the page of router: 10.10.10.1 , the ping is not going too.. please

help me whhat should I do to get it work =((((

Are you connected to the router via the console connection ?

Jon

Peter Paluch Sat, 01/23/2010 - 04:54

Hello Sorin,

You have performed all steps correctly and your 2800 router is back to factory default. However, note that the Cisco routers generally do not have any IP address configured when they are reverted to their default configuration. You will have to configure your router with an IP address to actually be able to connect to it via a network. So your router has not crashed, it is just unconfigured.

The IP address 10.10.10.1 you are referring to was actually not a default configuration but rather a starting configuration prepared from Cisco on your router so that for new users, deployment of their router is easier. But it is easy to configure your router completely by hand. First, in the System Configuration Dialog, press Ctrl-C, wait a couple of seconds, and then hit Enter a few times until you receive the command line. Now, enter these commands:

enable

configure terminal

username admin privilege 15 secret admin

ip http server

ip http authentication local

interface fa0/0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

line con 0

login local

line aux 0

login local

line vty 0 15

login local

end

I assume you want to configure this router via SDM so I have also enabled the HTTP server and the local database authentication for HTTP access. If you want to configure your router only by hand, simply omit the two ip http commands.

Please come back with any additional questions.

Best regards,

Peter

slash281990 Sat, 01/23/2010 - 04:56

Correct Answer
Peter Paluch Sat, 01/23/2010 - 04:59

Hello Sorin,

Correctly, you will have to connect to the router using a console cable (the blue flat one that came with your router) and a COM port. You will need to run the HyperTerminal or the recent PuTTY to use the COM port to talk to the router. The COM port settings are 9600 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Do not expect the router to say anything to you after you connect to it via console - you must start by hitting Enter a few times. The Ctrl-C shall be then used to cancel the System Configuration Dialog in the terminal.

According to you previous post, I thought you are already connected to the console.

Best regards,

Peter

Jon Marshall Sat, 01/23/2010 - 05:00

Peter

Think i'll stay out of this thread as you seem to have it covered

Jon

Peter Paluch Sat, 01/23/2010 - 05:08

Jon,

No, please, don't go anywhere! I enjoy reading your guidance all along. And I learn a lot from you.

Best regards,

Peter

Jon Marshall Sat, 01/23/2010 - 05:44

Peter

Sorry, it was just that i seemed to just be repeating your advice !!

Anyway looks like we are on a new thread for this now

Jon

Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Sat, 01/23/2010 - 04:59

slash281990 wrote:

Peter beat me to it

Yes you need to connect via the console port on the router using the com port on your laptop and Ctrl-C is sent from the laptop to the router. You will need to run a terminal emulator on your laptop such as hyperterminal or teraterm Pro.

Jon

slash281990 Sat, 01/23/2010 - 05:03

I run putty,

in the settings> Serial line COM1 tthe speed 9600

checkbox on serial and open... the black screen opens but nothing appears I mean the black screen only

HELP PLEASE!!

Actions

This Discussion