cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover configuration

Rupesh Kashyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have three routers- WAN-1, 2 and CLIENT. Both WAN1 & 2 have 4 T1 links (configured as multilink) & are connected with CLIENT. WAN-1 &2 are connected with one internal switch also. We are running EIGRP all four devices.

WAN-1 to CLIENT is primary link and WAN-2 to CLIENT is failover link. The problem is whenever 2 out of 4 T1 on WAN-1 is down, traffic is not shifted to WAN-2 to CLIENT. How can I configure it as automated failover.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rupesh,

Is there a link between WAN-1 and WAN-2?

Reza

WAN-1 & 2 are internally connected.

Hi Rupesh

Can you post a detailed schematic diagram of the scenario you are talking here? also can you post the configurations of the routers as well ?

regds

HI, I have attached the diagram. I am running EIGRP on all routers including L3Switch (6500 series). I have four links betweeen WAN-1 & CLIENT which is part of single multilink. Same thhing is with WAN-2 & CLIENT.

I am looking for automated failover if link between WAN-1 & CLIENT fails. The problem is, we have 4 links in one multilink and automated failover only happenes if either all four links would down or multilink will down.

How can I build the automated failover.

Can you tell me what's the mechanism you are using to make Wan1 as primary and Wan 2 as secondary?

As far as i know when the links goes down in a bundle the bandwidth of the bundle (multilink) tends to decrease based on the remaining links which all are up.

regds

Currently, I have blocked CLIENT route on WAN-2 so that WAN-1 would be primary from L3Switch. My target is that, when two links of WAN-1 will down, then only it should be routed to WAN-2. How is it possible?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card